Skip to content

Ask an Expert vtr firestorm help not run for 6 months Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > vtr firestorm help not run for 6 months

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

paulwhiteley40

Mar 11

vtr firestorm help not run for 6 months

Hi all need advise please ;have an x plate vtr which has not been run for at least 6 months thing is I didnt drain the carbs when I laid her up for the winter or the tank for that matter:blink: if the bike decides to start am I going to have major issues when riding due to the old fuel still in the carbs and tank and if so what the worst case senario. Due to home and work issues I forgot that sumone one had advised me to do so if laying up for winter.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (03 March 2011 23:35)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

not run

Oh dear,get rid of the rotten fuel in the tank,pipes and carbs,your jets may be gummed up as well,if you do run it without making sure the jets are not clear you will have a weak mixture which will cause further problems.

Reply to this Topic
paulwhiteley40

Mar 11

vtr firestorm help not run for 6 months

thanks for the reply ;what the worse case if I tried to take the bike for a run.

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

worst case

could be anything from cutting out, miss fires,fouling plugs that will never spark again to burnt valves,holed pistons depends how weak it runs if jets blocked .  

Reply to this Topic
McFly998

May 04

McFly998 says:

6 months isn't that long

It'll probably be fine. 

It's good practice to drain the carbs and put some stabiliser in the tank but 6 months isn't really that long.  I've seen bikes run fine after standing for over 12 months with fuel in the carbs.  Just take a few precautions before you fire her up.  I'd suggest you:

1 - Put as much fresh fuel into the tank as you can, to dilute the old stuff - if the tanks full consider draining it completely and putting all fresh fuel in. 

2 - Make sure the battery is fully charged - (this might be your biggest problem). 

3 - Put it into a high gear and turn the back wheel with the ignition off, to move the pistons a bit.  Don't bother oiling the cylinders - they'll be fine after only 6 months.

4 - Pull the clutch lever in for about 30 seconds to free up the plates incase they stuck together.

5 - Make sure the brakes are ok - that the pistons haven't siezed.

Then press the button and see how she idles once warm - it'll probably take a couple of tries on the starter, and will take about 5 mins for for the fresh fuel to get through.  If it idles ok I'd take it out for a short run and top the tank off, if it pulls ok through the rev range it should be fine.

If it coughs and splutters then it's time for a carb strip and clean. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Not run for 6 months.

That worst case scenario is very unlikely though, isn't it?

Alternatively you could do what I just did at the weekend. Charge the battery, pump the tyres and lube the chain, then crank without choke a few times to work some oil round (-not sure how effective that was but I hadn't the time or the inclination to remove the spark plugs and put a spoonful of oil into each cylinder to lube the piston rings). Now fire it up, check the lights work and you're off. This is the first winter the bike's been laid up more than 12 weeks so admittedly I haven't witnessed the effects of doing this annually, but the bike is fine.

Am I bad?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

not used

As my first post,James your a bad lad,you should have put some redex in the tank.McFly petrol today won`t last,them were the days when you could buy 5 star petrol full of lead and would last for months.:upset: 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Silkolene.

Oh, I did put some Silkolene Pro-FST in the tank before laying up. Maybe I'm not all bad!?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices