Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

m0rgo

Nov 09

m0rgo says:

Bonneville - Clunky Gearbox

Hi Guys

Overall I am pretty happy with my 2007 Bonny.

However, the gear change is giving me some concern.

Most of my previous bikes have clunked into first gear - so that's something I've come to expect.

Now, sometimes when I change up, (into fourth I think) the gear isn't selected. Not a false neutral, just that the selector lever doesn't seem to engage and the next gear isn't selected - but if I try it again firmly it generally does change.

I'd be grateful for any ideas or experience with this before I start drastic action.

Cheers

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (04 March 2011 11:19)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Clunky

Does it happen all of the time,or more so when hot or cold. How many miles,condition,set up etc?

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

Hi m0

more info required. Have you owned from new, mileage etc. Also have you or a previous owner had a passion for clutchless changes.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
m0rgo

Nov 09

m0rgo says:

More info.

Thanks for responding guys.

I've had the bike about 18 months, it has around 6000 miles on the clock and is just about four years old.

I can't say that I've noticed ambient temperature affecting the frequency of the problem and I don't do the clutchless change up thing on this bike.

I rode out for about an hour a couple of days ago and there was only one occasion when there was a suggestion of being reluctant to change up. Air temp around 6 degrees C.

I've being trying to concentrate on each gear change and if I wind the clutch in, in a fairly slow, deliberate  manner, it does seem to me that the gears clunk more than I would like. I've experimented with different revs and 'blipping' the clutch lever in and I think if I get it right I get a better gear change - but it's not necessarily repeatable every time. If I change gear in a relatively slow, deliberate manner, I feel the gears 'clunk' as they engage.

As I said initially, clunking into first is nothing new, but I'd expect a smoother change after that - and I just feel it's not as smooth as it should be.

Any ideas?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

trumpets

are very finicky when it comes to chain tension. With that age mileage can I ask when was the last time you adjusted the chain.

On these the back wheel needs to be clear of the ground, so if you have a side stand only model you will need something like an abba stand which picks up from the swingarm pivot. Mid chain under the swingarm should be between 30-35 mil.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
m0rgo

Nov 09

m0rgo says:

Re. Chain tension

Thanks for that Tom

By eye, the chain looked OK, but I will put it on the centre stand and measure it properly, and get back

Cheers

Duncan

Reply to this Topic
m0rgo

Nov 09

m0rgo says:

Still clunking!

Well, I've been playing for a few days.

I adjusted the chain from the 25mm it was, to between 32 to 35 mm along the length (it's not an exact adjustment).

I've then taken the bike out for a couple of runs of between 60 and 90 minutes.

Maybe, there is a slight imporovement. Maybe.

I still think the gear selection is 'clunky' - it clunks going up and clunks going down through the gears.

I did mention earlier that I might have expected a clunk into first - but I also notice that without a brake applied, the bike likes to jump forward a couple of inches on selection of first.

The issue is the same at either end of the trip.

So, I'm still scratching my head.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Duncan

Reply to this Topic
oldgreyray

Jul 06

oldgreyray says:

Clunky gearbox

Try pumping the clutch lever a few times after a cold start before selecting first gear, should stop it jumping forward or stalling.

Reply to this Topic
Z1000MAN

Oct 10

Z1000MAN says:

Typical !

Triumph, clunky and stiff first and second gear.

Triumph !.... :upset: I used to own a speed triple and hated its gearbox.  Sorry, not recommended.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi

Replace the clutch fluid if it is hydraulic (or adjust the cable if cable operated.) Check for any adjustments that are available and reset where possible, also consider wear in the clutch plates. What you describe sounds like clutch drag.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

oil &bite

What make/type of oil is in the engine,car/bike oil? 10/40.....20/50? Mineral,/semi/synthetic,/ fully synthetic? Also when does the clutch bite? 1/4 way out 1/2 way out 3/4 way out?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices