Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha can cope without Rossi and Furusawa, says race boss MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha can cope without Rossi and Furusawa, says race boss

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha can cope without Rossi and Furusawa, says race boss

Yamaha boss Lin Jarvis is adamant the double blow of losing star rider Valentino Rossi and the major engineering influence of Masao Furusawa in the space of a few months will not hurt the Japanese factory's bid for a fourth successive MotoGP crown in 2011.Rossi quit Yamaha at the end of 2010 to complete a big-money two-year deal with rivals...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (04 March 2011 12:06)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Rawdawg I would suggest to you that the riders input isn't as overrated as yours is on this sight.. You seem to have completely missed the point.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Oh and Lyn coping is not the point... The last 3 years of Yamaha domination have seen yam cruising to the championship with zero challenge from Stoner and until mid last year Dani and Honda and all without rider input apparently.. The times they are a changing..

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Jarvis might have to eat his words...

Lin Jarvis has waited to see how Rossi is getting on with Ducati and now feels safe to have a little snipe at both Rossi and Furusawa, both unecessary. Hope he has to eat his words. 

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Oh dear Rawdawg

You obviously have no idea how development works. It is entirely rider driven. In short, the rider tells the chief engineer what he would like the bike to do or how he would like it to behave. It is then the engineers job to translate this into a tangible solution. The new piece of kit or new engine management programme is installed, the rider tests it, and then gives feedback to the engineer as to whether or not the new solution is correct, or needs more work.

You only need look at the career of Rossi to see the difference the "rider factor" can make. If the team are initially steered in the right direction, and the chief engineer understands what his rider wants and how to produce it, success will follow.

I can't help but think that the reason Suzuki are in the mess they are in is because they haven't had any good quality rider feedback since 1994. Rider input is VITAL

I think Lin Jarvis has missed one crucial part of the problem, or is perhaps glossing over it. Yes the Yamaha is a great bike. No, nobody is going to be spending a fortune (with the possible exception of Honda) revamping their bike for the last 800cc season, so the pecking order in terms of machinery should stay the same. Yes the engineering department in Japan will work as well as it always has since being knocked into shape by Furusawa. The only problem is what happens in 2012? Then we find out if Jorge can develop a bike aswell as he can ride. Or not. I think 2012 will see a shake up of the status quo (please, no jokes about a shit rock band) and the team I see as benefitting most from the change to a new formula............Ducati, naturally ;-)

Reply to this Topic
eddl

Dec 10

eddl says:

supermario

hear hear, in a loud upper class voice. spot on

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Mr Jarvis.

Won't be forced to eat his words no way.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

50mm Headstock deflection?!

And I quote Wosideg from below, warts and all.

"To those who constantly bang on about the CF frame and it's inadequasies..The trellis frame had come to the end of it's racing shelf life. Ducati could not build the torsional strength into the frame required, did you know under tests they reckoned that the headstock deflected by up to 2 inches or 50 mm from it's static position, sounds like a friggin H2 Kawaski to me?"

My arse! Fork deflection of that amount yes. Headstock - no way. The tyre would be stuck in the engine vee from the first turn! Don't be applying for any chief engineer jobs any time soon Wosideg. What was that 'Laws of Physics' course you were trying to put me on again? Perhaps you'd like a geometry lesson?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Development

Surely it's a team effort, not just down to one person. To me it's the rider / crew chief relationship thats the most important area. Rossi / Burgess is the obvious example although Doohan / Burgess is probably a better one. Good feedback from the rider, interpreted by the crew chief. The thing is though the factories tend to say 'Ok but we're building you this instead'. Unless you have a reputation and a mental toughness to go up against the designers/engineers you don't get what you want. Rossi was a natural choice to follow Doohan and Burgess already had his reputation in place. Look at Honda since Rossi/Burgess left. No strong rider leading development.

Reply to this Topic
davevr46

Feb 11

davevr46 says:

the championship and yamaha

lorenzo may have won it in 2010 but....

casey is much more competetive on a honda

dani is fit and well and if he manages to stay on the bike well...we all know

rossi's potential is unknown, and only a fool would count him out.

dovi is always up there

and im sure spies will want a piece of the action,if them lot can keep it shiny side up i dont think we will see much lorenzo domination this year,unless casey n dani have a crash fest lorenzo wont win the title.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

let's look at what you said Mario

First off all development ISN'T rider driven - it depends on the design philosophy of the manufacture and what they are trying to accomplish. Do you think farm boy Stoner asked Ducati for a carbon fibre frame? Do you think Rossi ask Honda for a V5 or a crossplane engine at Yamaha? No, the riders had ZERO to do with that. Some developments are engineering lead.

You say " the rider tells the chief engineer what he would like the bike to do or how he would like it to behave. It is then the engineers job to translate this into a tangible solution". Er, did I not say the rider doesn't make anything and that it's up to the engineers and designers? The problem is that you and others think only 1 or 2 riders can "tell the chief" engineer what they like. That's not the hard part - the hard part is designing and making the bits that work and make a difference.

And yes I have looked at the "Rossi riding factor" at Yamaha and I'm sorry to bust your hero bubble but Rossi didn't design the crossplane engine (which was already tested a month before Rossi even rode the bike) nor did he design the frame or design anything else - the was done by Furusawa who took over the race department a couple of months before Rossi got there. That's why Furusawa's absence will have more of an effect on the bike than not having Rossi.

And Suzuki's biggest problem is that they don't spend money and have the engineering talent as the other manufacturers. No rider no matter how talented can turn around a bike without the resourse of money and manpower at the factory. No, not even Rossi.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices