Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha can cope without Rossi and Furusawa, says race boss MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha can cope without Rossi and Furusawa, says race boss

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha can cope without Rossi and Furusawa, says race boss

Yamaha boss Lin Jarvis is adamant the double blow of losing star rider Valentino Rossi and the major engineering influence of Masao Furusawa in the space of a few months will not hurt the Japanese factory's bid for a fourth successive MotoGP crown in 2011.Rossi quit Yamaha at the end of 2010 to complete a big-money two-year deal with rivals...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (04 March 2011 12:06)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eddl

Dec 10

eddl says:

i too understand, it's quite simple really

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

My you have been doing your research Wosideg

and back pedalling furiously since your initial foot in mouth faux pas. 

Yes gentlemen you can apply all the three plane force theory you like (and of course a comprehensive understand of which is essential to the manufacture of a good handling motorcycle). I've read motorcycle chassis technique books before, so nothing new here. What it all boils down to is the intangible quality 'feel'. Can a motorcycle provide the rider with the requisite feedback and feel through the chassis to his arse, hands and feet. 'Feel' is what tells a quality rider whether he is approaching the limit and if he is about to launch himself or otherwise. In the case of the CF framed Desmocedici's ( and perhaps there is a degree of culpability here on the part of the ultra stiff walled Bridgestones) the answer appears to date to be 'no'.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ancientone80

Aug 09

ancientone80 says:

I see it Nostro

You're right of course, no where in Wosidog's original statement is there any mention of a balls centre datum? Original quote included below. "did you know under tests they reckoned that the headstock deflected by up to 2 inches or 50 mm from it's static position". His research and explanations since do help to make his take on the situation clearer, but the original statement did have me shaking my head too. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
Nerus7sport

Aug 10

Nerus7sport says:

The horses mouth.

Just thought some of you guys may find the following quote from Furusawa about working and developing the M1 with Rossi pre season 2004 of interest.............. Masao Furusawa "I had prepared lots of combinations for him to try: Four-valve system, five-valve system, crossplane, single plane. And he pointed to the crossplane crankshaft bike with four-valve. Before, everybody was so scared to look at a new engine, because for a long time Yamaha had been successful with the five-valve. People said 'How can you throw away the five-valve system?' I said 'It is a very interesting system. It's lots of fun for a production bike, but the purpose of racing is not fun. Fun is ok, but the first thing we have to do is win. The problem we have had is Yamaha is losing the game for over ten years. So we have to change.' So the four-valve system and crossplane crankshaft was the best, but it was also a brand new engine design, which is why the power was so slow. But despite that, Valentino still pointed to that engine and said 'this is it'. Q: Is that a lesson you want people at Yamaha to remember, that something might not necessarily produce the best numbers on a design simulation, but the most important thing to remember is the human connection with the machine? Masao Furusawa: Right. And you need to remember that Valentino was kind of like a King. We all huddled around him when he came in after riding to listen to what he had to say - would he give 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' to our ideas? So when Valentino gave the 'thumbs up' for four-valve and crossplane crankshaft everybody knew it was the way forward and worked in the same direction. We didn't have much time. Only two months to the race in South Africa. So I really owe a big thanks to Valentino for making a clear and correct choice. I had showed some results and evidence [to support the engine change] with the prototype running on the test track, but maybe only 50 percent of people thought 'ok I will follow you'. The other 50 percent still thought 'that is not the reality on the race track'. But after Valentino said 'yes', everybody knew it was the right thing and we were able to get a lot of power from people all working as a team. That is one reason why we have had such good results. Maybe if Valentino hadn't come to Yamaha, I would have been [jokes about a noose around his neck!]. Now I want Pedrosa to win this year but all the disputes and negativity on this thread cloud the facts. An engineer designs and a rider tests. If the feedback is poor or articulated incorrectly then the engineer can be clearly led down a green path Whether you like Rossi or not you can ignore what Furusawa has said. He clearly credits Rossi for validating their deign strategy for the M1 Full interview http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/166485/1/furusawa_reflects_on_eve_of_yamaha_motogp_exit.html

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

That interview.

By Mr Furusawa is weeks old and it was a good read.

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

yeah but....

Can they cope with no sponsor all season, especially if there not in a winning position by half way through.

I reckon jorge might have to have a wage cut....after all his antics at getting a wage near rossi's.

Rossi brings sponsors and money in merchandise, jorge brings big ego's and big wage demands... 

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Thats the problem.

I think they can cope without a lead sponsor but like I say if they are getting good results then a sponsor will come calling I hope.

Lorenzo was acting like a child when he said he wanted his wage near to Vale.

I reckon Ben will attract a sponsor then his team-mate IMO.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
TheCelticHound

Jun 08

2012 MACHINE CRITICAL

If one can believe all the hype then the existing M1 is the bike developed by JB and Vale with Furusawa providing whatever they asked for. This years M1 is probably only a mild evolution of the 2010 bike. However, the real acid test will come in the 2012 season when the bike is developed without the input of JB and Vale. Notwithstanding the obvious talent of Jorge and Ben I think the Honda has the legs on the M1 especially now with the wealth of riding talent that Honda have at their disposal.Ciao

Reply to this Topic
martiny46

Oct 08

martiny46 says:

... can cope without Rossi and Furusawa, says race boss

Did n't Honda say the same when Rossi quit ?

.....me thinks that history may repeat it's self ....

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Of course.

Yamaha can cope without Rossi and Furusawa at the helm and history will not repeat itself what Honda said when Vale quit them.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices