Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

drsnoopy1885

Mar 11

drsnoopy1885 says:

Mod 1 Swerve Test

Hi,

Quick question. Did my mod 1 a couple of weeks ago and failed due to not getting the speed up on swerve/emergency stop :huh:

I am retaking it again next week and have been looking at tips for the speed test (am on a Yamaha YBR 125). From what I've read, I should do the corner in second gear and stay in second until through the speed trap- is this what people would suggest? I'm conscious it'll be pretty noisy with the revs up that high?! On my first attempt I was doing it in third gear...prob why I wasn't getting the speed up!

I passed everything else fine.

Oh, and I don't have an instructor- trying to pass without one at the moment, so don't have anyone to ask :tongue:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (04 March 2011 17:01)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

mod 1

Just passed mine today at first go and i think the swerve and emergeny stop must be easier on a 500 due to the power i had no problems up to speed infact i was doing 62kmh on my emergency stop. I didnt feel you had to swerve top much either. The u turn in practice is what i weirdly struggled at.

Reply to this Topic
Mgibson1

May 11

Mgibson1 says:

Mod 1 on 125cc

:huh: Got my Mod 1 tomorrow on my YBR125 and I think I will leave it in second. Did my DAS 2 weeks ago on a 500cc but just clipped the cone on the swerve test and failed.  I think if you waste time/space changing up to 3rd gear on your 125 you may not hit the min speed of 50kph. It will rev high (mine was at 9000 rpm) but at least it will help you slow down as well.   Did you pass ?

Mark 

Reply to this Topic
petehw

Mar 11

petehw says:

mod 1 swerve test

hey, i passed my mod 1 on 3rd attempt, keep in 2nd gear all  the time, i did mine on a 500 so speed was not a problem, aim for at least 20 on the bend then open up just as ur coming out of the bend, dont look at ur speedo keep ur eye on the speed trap and blue cones, dont worry about the noise, that is a good indication that ur at good speed, i just passed my mod 2 a couple of weeks ago, great feeling just need the wheels now, good luck mate!

Reply to this Topic
darich

May 11

darich says:

mod 1 passed today

on my own CBF 125.
E-stop speed was recorded as 55kph.
avoidance test speed was recorded as 51kph.

On the avoidance test I sighted the blue cones as I left the straightened up and went through the speed trap at a slight angle as suggested earlier.
Swerving was pretty easy as long as you remember to back off the throttle (but not brake!) once through the speed trap.

Passed the test this morning at first attempt....with no faults at all.

I'm pretty chuffed!!!

Couple of lessons to brush up on road skills then mod 2 test. :)

Reply to this Topic
chrisbf125

Sep 10

chrisbf125 says:

Swerve test - check speed from sound of engine

Before your test, practise driving around in second gear at 35mph indicated, which should be at least 32 or so depending on your speedo, You will get used to the pitch of the engine so you can tell you are going the right speed without looking at the speedo. The rest is easy, just barely use the rear brake on the emergency stop and you will be OK.

Reply to this Topic
phowarth18

Sep 09

phowarth18 says:

Engine noise

You don't really have time to look at your speedo, so practise listening to the engine note at about 35mph. Some instructors teach this when training.

Reply to this Topic
paulsie82

Jul 11

paulsie82 says:

thanks

i have my mod 1 on the 10th august and im bricking it, my instructor is always on at me to use the back brake its just unheard of, before starting training i only ever used it to rest my foot on, i have 2 full days training booked the weekend before so im hoping to nail it

failing this time would only mean a long wait until the summer to actually get my bike

thanks for the tips i shall be keeping them in mind

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle