Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati Diavel v Yamaha Vmax – who’s the daddy? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Ducati Diavel v Yamaha Vmax – who’s the daddy?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Ducati Diavel v Yamaha Vmax – who’s the daddy?

In next week’s MCN we’re pitting Ducati’s hugely impressive new Ducati Diavel power cruiser against the established king of the heap (at least in a straight line), Yamaha’s awesome VMax. One of the key questions is: which is quickest? To find out we datalogged both machines in a 0-120mph sprint but predicting a winner wasn’t easy. At 194bhp and 310kg, the Yamaha...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (04 March 2011 17:16)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
JamesQGM

Feb 10

JamesQGM says:

Snev

One day, in the distant future, somewhere i a land far away, a bike will be born. Which you will like more than a Busa. Although it'll probably be the next Busa ;)

Reply to this Topic
gorgax

Mar 11

gorgax says:

Test ride?

I liked the looks of the B-King when it came out but was most disappointed to find it had been built for short people and I couldn't get my knees under the air intakes. Then came the V-Max. Again, a bike I like the look of a lot. But I'm not going to spend £££You've got to be kidding£££ on a motorcycle without a test ride. "Not in this country, sir" said Yamaha UK. I got to try one in the USA when I was in Daytona for Biketoberfest. One word review. AWESOME. Thanks to the good people of Yamaha USA and their demo fleet. But not worth £21,500 of anyone's money. And when you find out that it's on sale in the US for $19,000 (less than £12,000 in real money) the feeling that we're being taken for mugs becomes overwhelming. Went to the MCN Motorcycle Show at Excel. Saw the Diavel on the Ducati stand. Had a sit down on one. "Would you like a test ride?" "Yes, please" "Leave some details, we'll be in touch". Three days later I get a e-mail from the nearest Ducati dealership. "Ducati tell us you'd like a test ride on a Diavel. Come along on Diavel Launch Day and have a ride or pick a date and you can have a go on our demonstrator." A reasonable price, a test ride, good dealer communication. That's the way to get people to buy a bike.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

JamesQGM

Your so right . I waited a very long time for Hondas Blackbird replacement,  Still waiting . The Busa does everything I want..... its as simple as that . Have tried many other bikes over the years and to be honest when you jump on a " Thou", it feels kinda limp, nothing really happens untill your in the power band.  I haven't ridden a V MAX , no point cuz its too expensive, I sat on the Diaval at the NEC and thought it was different but not something I would buy I ride most days of the year apart from when I can't actually get out of my street due to ice , best bike at the show for me was the Aprilia RSV4 Simply out of this world. Wouldn't buy one as it would not keep its value enough when the time comes to replace it. So yes you have got it spot on, A gen 3 Busa is a very exciting prospect indeed but I won't hold my breath!

Reply to this Topic
arthurbikemad

Aug 07

Whats the Busa got to do with king of the Vmax v Ducati..lol  Yes yes we all know that the Busa is faster than NASA to the moon...lol  Whatever next Busa in WSB, but what of the rest...lol They would not stand a chance against such power...lol  Ever rode the 1400 Kwak.. ;)  I have a mate of a mate that has the most powerful road legal Busa in the UK, 500bhp so he says but a kink in the road and its buggered.. ;) Quite quick at santa though.. :)

Reply to this Topic
marty1035

Aug 07

marty1035 says:

Busa? Who Cares?

The Ducati looks a million times better than the Yamaha which resembles a cartoon bike. But both are much, much better looking than the fugly Busa. Who cares how fast they are? That's like saying a fat chick's best because of the way she gives head. Who cares?

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

@gorgax

Same here, for the B-King. No wonder they sold so little. I think it was a great bike, but leg room eliminated probably anyone above 5'8"...I test rode one (I'm 6'1") and had a hard time reaching for the rear brake or gear lever because air intakes were in the way of my knees, insane that a bike so large and so big, had so little leg room! Other then the ridiculous leg room, the rest of the ergonomics were excellent.

Too bad, transmission was perfect, engine sublime and with after market exhaust it looked great.

Reply to this Topic
KernelKeld

Sep 09

KernelKeld says:

Flaw in marty1035's example...

Some of us actually like fat chicks marty1035 ... even more so if they know how to tickle your fancy. Give me curves over stick thin any day. I guess some people are the same when it comes to bikes! :)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

arthurbikemad

Sorry I thought it said " king of the heap" and was suggesting that the V Max was the quickest in a straight line. Excuse the shit out of me.

Reply to this Topic
arthurbikemad

Aug 07

I think its OK if you say the Busa is one of the fastest production bikes of all time, and tbh I think any one on anything other than a ZZR would have a hard time in the dust of the Busa's massive speed!  I rode the Ducati today for over an hour and was shocked at the gut pulling power it has, it does go round bends but not quite like they say it does, the pegs and your feet touch down early into the turn and the rubber mounted bars do nothing to help the situation when it gets a head shake on in turns like it does!!  The power lets you take to poorly valved rear shock out of the realms of safe riding very easy and the front forks lack speed of rebound!  We tried to fettle the rear shock into some compromise with the front with little luck today so Ducati need to get the option sorted as an upgrade, took my girl on it too and quickly found that the grab rail opens your hand against the seat on hard acceleration and whats worse is the lack of locking of the rear pegs lets them fold away under the passengers feet on acceleration leaving her with no hold or foot on the rear of a very short seat!!!  She was NOT impressed at all!!!!  Other than that its a nice bike but easy to take into troubled times with such big power...the engine is a dream!

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

A Class of Two

How can you describe the V-Max as King of the Heap when talking about acceleration? It might be near the top when it comes to cost but it's not the fastest. A well ridden Hayabusa or ZZR1400 is quicker. My own lightly modded ZZR (TiForce exhaust and Power Commander) did a quarter in 9.84 seconds when geared 17/40 (UP one tooth at the rear) for top speed runs. I rode the Diavel last week, I covered about 90 miles and it's a cracking motorcycle, I really liked it but we need to keep our heads here and not get carried away. It's long and you can feel that when changing direction but for a "cruiser" it does handle rather well. The ground clearance is better than you'd expect and the Pirelli tyres help a lot. The engine sounds great, much better than it does in the Multistrada, most likely because the exhaust sound masks the other mechanical noise. Like I said, the Diavel is a great bike but keep it in perspective.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices