Skip to content

Discuss This Video: BMW G650GS is a lot of bike for £5000 First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: BMW G650GS is a lot of bike for £5000

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Video: BMW G650GS is a lot of bike for £5000

MCN’s world-first ride on the new BMW G650GS has shown it’s competent on and off road and novice-friendly too. The BMW has 47bhp, which from 2013 will be the new power limit for novice riders, up from 33bhp. And at £4920 plus on-the-road charges, it’s one of the cheapest big bikes you can buy, undercutting even Suzuki’s budget SV650 at...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 March 2011 09:26)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

So basically a 10 year old bike (with new plastic) for about the same price as it sold 10 years ago... if it ain't broke why fix it?

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Yarg!... 14 litre tank down from a useful >200 mile 17 litres... what was I saying about not broke?

Reply to this Topic
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

What?

Did MCN just compare a 650 single putting out 47hp to a 75hp 650 vtwin?

Reply to this Topic
hellobignose

Mar 09

hellobignose says:

Darkrapture

You are exactly correct. What are they doing making a comparison between two similarly-priced entry level bikes that will both be popular with newbies? Truly, their stupidity knows no bounds. The 650cc 47bhp single BMW should of course be compared to the hundreds of other adventure-styled 650cc 47bhp singles. Bloody MCN

Reply to this Topic
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

hellobignose

I'd just like to see some impartiality for a change. BMW re-release a 10 year old bike (priced accordingly) and make it look like cutting edge kit with a bargain price which is clearly not the case. Don't get me wrong the G650GS looks like a fine bike and I'm sure it will sell well, I just prefer to read news from a news site. I can get the marketing blurb from BMW directly.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Both the SV and new BMW are very decently priced. MCN might have been better emphasising that you can get the new bike for £1500-£2000 less than the similarly specced XT660R or Z (although you can get discounts on the Yamahas - BMW never give discounts). I might have been interested if the seat height was bit higher! Be interestign to see what the fuel consumption is compared to the ultra frugal F650GS (twin).

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

I'd like shot of someone else's but I wouldn't buy one. I've ridden the old F650 Dakars and they seemed a bit crude and fairly bulletproof, i've had a quickee on the F650 X-Country and it was very smooth and quick for town and B-roads, so really the question is why not get one of these as you wouldn't use it as your main transport unless you like going slowly.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

You can compare the SV650 and other bikes against the BMW 650 GS but the point of the review was the Beemer is aimed at the 47bhp limit about to hit novice riders from 2013. Even the little SV produces more than this and will be out of the reach of newbies. Suzuki could always produce a 47bhp SV. Personally I wish they would produce an SV1200 but that's another story.

Reply to this Topic
stuarthw

Sep 09

stuarthw says:

agree!

I totally agree with Darkrapture's observations above. A pity MCN just restate the marketing blurb and failed to give us a true assessment/review. (Nice looking bike though )

Reply to this Topic
stRickly

Nov 08

stRickly says:

Yet another bike with a beak...

..Suzuki must be really raking in the styling royalties from BMW.

Can't knock the price though - if build quality hasn't suffered too much (engine built in China?). And I'm not sure I'd want to test its off road credentials with those wheels.

Will probably be popular with newbies/commuters though.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices