You are in... Forums > General > General > Enduro beginner

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Bannerman

Mar 09

Bannerman says:

Enduro beginner

I've just bought myself an RM250 with the intention of doing some enduro type events. Turns out I've bought the wrong bike as most enduro clubs only allow enduro bikes and mine is considered a 'crosser'. Does anyone know the diffinitive differences, and can anyone suggest suitable bikes to buy to meet this criteria. Makes / models / lists all welcome!

Thanks!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 March 2011 10:31)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Get it road legal

Theres kits you can get from many aftermarket suppliers .A great book to get hold of is TBM off road mag (its half the size of a normal mag ) theres loads of adverts of people who`ll sell you a kit to sort yer RM out .

Reply to this Topic
Bannerman

Mar 09

Bannerman says:

Kits

Superbol -

Cheers, but there was a race meet of TBEC - an enduro club - near me recently. I spoke to the club secretary and she said they didn't even allow bikes that had been adapted. Seems really stupid to me, but apparently those are the rules with a lot of the clubs. Do you know ones who'll let kitted bikes in?

Cheers

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Haven't done any enduros myself,

only motocross and supermoto, wouldn't mind having a crack at it :biggrin:

The TBEC is Trail bike enduro club I think, they are trying to encourage the cheaper end of things with trailies etc, if you try a few others you may have more luck, usually converted motocrossers are more the preserve of the expert riders on account of sharper power delivery and so on, motocrossers usually have closer ratio internal gears, whereas enduro have quite a low first gear to cope with tight woodland and other technical sections (not quite as extreme as trials sections, but you may have to get over the odd log and big rock etc.) and also a higher top gear to cope with higher speed on fire roads and across moorland or even on the road between sections and stages. Enduro bikes are usually slightly softer engine set up, more torquey low down and in the mid range where motocrossers need  sharper quicker snappier power to accelerate quicker up to and over jumps out of corners and so on.  Suspension is also a bit plusher to soak up lower speed obstacles where moto needs ability to cope with big landings.

Anyway, as I say, try a few other clubs, also consider hare and hounds events and GNCC type events (Fast Eddy series) you have a few options, it's a case of it being slightly more difficult using a crosser, but it's by no means impossible! don't be put off! :smile

as said above some things can be done to make road legal if that's neccessary, also the bike can be modded in some ways to make it more suitable, different exhaust, weight added to magneto flywheel, change of sprockets, different throttle twistgrip (slower action, to to open more progressively) revalved and/or resprung suspension.
Hope this helps, one of the best dealers to talk to or email about it is ET James in mid Wales, the heart of enduro country! they are at Rhayader, and Suzuki dealers for a long time. 
Trials and motocross news and trail bike magazine are some of the best sources of info too. 

Good luck, have fun, any more questions and I'll do my best, even if I got to ask someone else!! :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices