Skip to content

Ask an Expert Don't want to look like a biker-Help! Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Don't want to look like a biker-Help!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sillyface

Mar 09

sillyface says:

Don't want to look like a biker-Help!

Hi,

Most of the protective motorbike clothing I've seen makes you look like a Michelin man or screams out ‘Hey look at me, I’m a biker, I have a bike’.

I’m looking for clothing that when I meet friends in a café or pop into a shopping centre, I can get off my ride and walk around like the norms not looking like I’ve lost my bike. I’ve already got the cool Kevlar jeans which are great. But having issues finding decent laced boots that don't look like they’ve been designed by a soldier. And a nice casual jacket that doesn’t make you look as if your upper body was part of Transformer.

Anyone know of a source before I call up Gok Wan?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 March 2011 13:11)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Eh?

What's so wrong about looking like a biker, then?

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

dont wanan look like a biker?? take the car then pal

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

... better still, take the bus!  :lol:

Reply to this Topic
heihachi

Mar 11

heihachi says:

or.....

you could always be like some of the morons in my town who i see ride about with tracksuits and trainers, generally whilst belting through heavy town traffic at 40 in a 30 zone.
Its up to you, if you want to get seriously injured then go ahead - we wont lose any sleep over it.

Seriosuly though, all that padding/amour/bulk that you dont like is there for a reason and one reason only. Its keep you intact if and when you part company from your bike; if you want to stay safe then you are going to have to live with it.

Reply to this Topic
Ride4Fun

Apr 05

Ride4Fun says:

Casual Bike Gear

Unfortunately, the more "normal" the clothing, the less protective it will be, as those above have pointed out.  However, there are some casual looking leather jackets out there that will still have  reasonable protection, and I think it's Alpinestars who make a "bike" shoe/trainer (not as good as a proper boot, but might suit your "normal" criteria) which may be a good compromise.  Best thing to do is to go shopping, and check out the major manufacturers' websites.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

slowlearner

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Think ride tested a "parker" jacket...

Think ride tested a "parker" jacket that was designed with biking in mind but the armour was extra.
On the deau I put my over trousers, gloves and boots in the panniers and slip on some softer shoes and then just walk around in my Gortex textile top. You could also hide the helmet in a top-box...
Of course if have a Aprilla Mana or a scooter your helmet could be stored in the luggage compartment.
Perhaps you should suggest that Gok does a programme - How to look good naked on a motorbike....Oh No I'm suddenly thinking of babes...

Reply to this Topic
LeighC

Mar 11

LeighC says:

Casual

Depends on your budget, but I have a Belstaff Mojave jacket in waxed cotton that has CE protectors and still manages to not look too "bikey".  They're about £375 a pop though.  Hein Gericke do a lace up ankle boot, Gore-tex membrane, ankle armour, does the job but you might not want to crash in them :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
scalli

Oct 10

scalli says:

boots

army surpluss places do para boots for about £25 that look like normal shoes under your jeans. They are perfect for the bike as the sewn in tongue is waterprooof. I have been wearing them for over 30 years now and the only boots i will wear while riding.

Depends on how you ride, but jeans and t shirt are fine if you dont ride like a twat and ride defensivly

Reply to this Topic
sillyface

Mar 09

sillyface says:

Oooooooh…Seems like I hit a sensitive spot with a few members. It’s wasn’t my intention to mock the biker look. My opinion is not on the aesthetics of looking like a biker. But it’s about looking like a certain type of biker in the wrong environment. A bit like a fully equipped diver in a kids swimming pool.

As for Robsot, Slowlearner..Put your handbags down, come sit next to uncle SillyFace and let me clarify my point…The various biker looks have their own time & place. Wearing a one piece racer suit just to pop down the road is hardly suitable or in fact overkill (forgive the pun) compared to wearing a light weight Kevlar jacket/jeans. It’s about finding the right outfit for the bikers type of use. My use is about getting to my destination via the fun of a motorbike safely but being able to walk around a city centre or my tour of the D-Day beaches & The Somme trenches next month (walking a few km in full biker leather gear and racing boots is hardly comfortable).

But thanks for the constructive posts.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices