Skip to content

Discuss This New Honda CBR250R: how fast? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > New Honda CBR250R: how fast?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

New Honda CBR250R: how fast?

At first glance, Honda's new £3688 CBR250RR is a lot of bike for its price. Which might sound a little odd from the standpoint of being ‘just’ a single-cylinder bike with power output capped to just 26bhp. But a comparison with the competition speaks volumes: Kawasaki’s Ninja 250R costs £861 more at £4549, and Hyosung’s capable GT250R is £3799. And Yamaha’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (18 March 2011 16:52)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

CB250R

Looks like a bargain at the price for anyone looking for a 250!! With Hondas reputation for quality it seems amazing that a Hyosung actually costs more!!!

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Although we're still getting screwed on the price ($4000 in the US, just over £2000 in India), this is pretty good value at under £4000. Cheap to insure, cheap to tax and looks fine too. Be interesting to see the build quality, since there a lot of variations in quality these days, even within marques. Might consider one after a testride, evne if I'd be losing 30-40hp compared to my current bike.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Sorry for honda...

Honda have just worked out that a under 33BHP bike would be good for sales to young new bikers and then we learn that the new European inspired limit is going to be 50BHP. Can we have the 500cc version please?

Reply to this Topic
Gstan

Nov 10

Gstan says:

Im 17, i passed my test in september and bought a ktm duke 640, and got it restcicted, all of my mates who have passed also have restricted big bikes, and with the new limit being 48bhp in a year or 2, this bike could turn out a massive flop..

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

steady2wheels

"On a side not I think the bike looks not so great and I cant understand why someone would choose this over the ninja 250"

I think you've answered your own question right there! You simply don't like the bike as presented and quite possibly don't like Hondas. The only way you are equating this bike is on a max horsepower issue and its looks, which are subjective at best.

If you're (correct word here) interested in truly finding out how this bike, or any other, works for you then you'll need to ride one and be objective about it. Until then, I can't quite understand how my opinion is wrong? I think we're all entitled to one. Just give the bike a chance because there's more to a bike than peak hp numbers.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

it's a good bike

With petrol going up all the time an economical 250 makes a lot of sense for riders on a budget  who don't crave for lots of bhp.

As for the looks, the colour scheme in the picture is not one of the best and the exhaust is ugly in my opinion.

There is a black version of the 250 on the Honda website and it really does look much better.

With a seat Height of 784mm and Kerb Weight of 162kg it sould suit the small to medium rider who wants a reliable comfortable sporty looking bike with low running costs, and the high bars should make it comfortable for those who don't get on with a full on sports riding position.

I look forward to seeing the MCN review and comparing it with the Ninja 250R.

:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

How heavy

@wings1372 - it is a lot lighter than a supersports 600.  The CBR600RR has a kerb weight of 194kg.  You can't compare a kerb weight against the "dry weight" figures that the manufacturers used to put out, which were essentially imaginary.

That said - a DRZ400SM is at least 20kg lighter ready to ride, and that has a steel frame (one made to withstand the punishment of off-roading), a steel tank, heavier spoked wheels/tubed tyres, and a bigger engine.  The only real difference is the fairing, which clearly can't weigh well over 20kg.

Reply to this Topic
TheMaxter

Mar 11

TheMaxter says:

Steady2wheels. I can categorically state I'm not an employee of Honda, not only that, I've never actually even owned one! An NVT, MZ, Puch, TZR125, XV535 Virago, a Kawasaki GPz250 (which I should have kept in hindsight) 2 scooters and latterly a GSXR600. Which as a family man made no sense whatsoever due to the running costs..

I had a look at the CBR125R in George Whites, and its a little cracker, this 250, as I said before tickles my fancy. - As does the Kawaski, but that way more expensive and thrives on revs - as I already know. - I want to be back on 2 wheels, but I dont want a classic, and don't want something that costs an arm and a leg to run. I dont carry a passanger and occasionally I use motorways. - The Honda appears to fit that requirement. And above all else, it looks great.

Reply to this Topic
Doug66

Feb 06

Doug66 says:

Commuter?Not speed,but mpg please

I would not mind seeing this bike with a half fairing and  £350.00 cheaper.  With the cost of fuel rising, a relatively cheap to run /service250, possibly using around 55 - 60mpg, is a good step in the right direction in getting a decent commute bike for the masses. I don't use the bandit 1200 every day,as it gets thirsty when the sun comes out. I like to use my fuel quota for weekend blasts. However,my Toyota gets 45 - 50 mpg rain or shine, so the bike has to be competitive to get me out of the car. The bike community needs to challenge the motorcycle industry to produce a budget, fuel efficient bike,that has the power to get up a hill.  Triumph could lead the way with a sleeved down  675, using the budget parts bin and tie in with the new licence rules from Brussels

Reply to this Topic
Decto

Feb 11

Decto says:

250 fun

I'm a couple of months shy of my 20th year of biking with a full license. A week after passing I 'upgraded' by Honda MBX125 for a 250n Superdream. Similar in power but a bit heavier than this latest offering. Many great times followed, it took me to college over the moors even in the snow, much fun with the lucky friends on LC's as well as the rest on 100's and the odd CG125. This one is more than fast enough to have a great time on as a new rider. Cheap to insure and economical. The only problem I see is the price..... You can now get a decent car for similar money or a much better bike a couple of years old. I just don't understand who they hope to sell this to. Although you can say it's reasonably priced compared to it's rivals, it is still not cheap my any stretch of imagination.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices