Skip to content

Ask an Expert What bike to get..... Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > What bike to get.....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kyliewantsme

Mar 11

kyliewantsme says:

What bike to get.....

Hello: first post ever.
Sorry if it's in the wrong forum...

Well, I think it's etiquette here to introduce myself.
I am a 49 year old male living in Chester, 6'4" and 15 1/2stone.
I have just finished my DAS course (on an ER5)  passing the Mod2 last Thursday. :smile

I used to ride a 125CC Yamaha when i was a student but I have waited 30 more years to get back in the saddle.

Now that I have realised my ambition, thoughts turn to bikes. I have about £2k to spend and a few machines in mind, but would appreciate your advice considering my inexperience and height / weight.

• Kawa' ZZR600: I really like the looks and the size. It has good reviews? I sat on one at the weekend and felt comfortable.
  • Honda CBR600: It looks similar the the ZZR but I've never sat on one so not sure, but I hear it's a reliable bike as well.
  • Yama' YZF T/C, R6: I really like the looks of these but thinking the R6 is a bit too meaty for my first bike and may cost more than I'm willing to pay.
  • Suzu' GSX600: These look neat and tidy but I get the impression that these are used by track enthusiasts and may have been raced in previous lives, but I like the styling on these.

So, you get the idea. I prefer a 'sports' bike. Did I miss any?

Would really appreciate any help and advice before I make my choice. Thanks in advance. 

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 March 2011 11:01)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

sloppy seconds

sorry mate she's already spoken for:lol:

Just a thought, at 6'4" you may find R6 and most other sports bikes a bit snug, suggest you ride one for an hour to check, as otherwise Kylie won't want you as you'll be all hunched up

Reply to this Topic
Decto

Feb 11

Decto says:

Options

I recently picked up a ZZR600, happy with it so far but with any older bike you need to budget for a little TLC.

Now it's  taxed, tested, new tires, fluids, filters and shock it stands me at about £1400 and has just turned 20k for a 97 E5 model.

Spending on the parts made a big difference and will having a bike the feels 'right' will help your confidence.

I'm 5'10 and can easily get both feet flat down with bent knees so you may want to consider something a little bigger. For a £1500 bike I found little difference in insurance for a sports 600 upwards.

I got the ZZR as my main requirements were a fuel gauge, more power than a CB500 and some wind protection.  Looked at the CBR and the Suzuki but the Honda's were more expensive or much higher mileage the GSX / YZF were a little too track focused and I'd rather have a little space to stretch out.

Have you considered an SV1000 or a VTR1000 Firestorm? These make similar power but will have more torque so should be similar to ride. There's the triumph 955i etc.

Plenty of options. I wouldn't limit yourself too much on the engine size, a sports 600 can get you into just as much trouble as any other bigger bike. Something around 100bhp and up to 220kg should be fine.

Enjoy shopping

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Did I miss any?

Yes, you missed this one:
Kawasaki ZX6R
:smile

Reply to this Topic
oddjob183882

Jun 10

oddjob183882 says:

Kawasaki ZZR600

Very many congratulations on passing your test and for having such good taste in liking the Kawasaki ZZR600. It's a brillant do it all bike, so much so, I've actually got two; an E7 reg' 2001 on a Y plate and a E6F 2006.

However, although the little ZZR is a great bike (especially for shorties like me), you may find that it's a little cramped, especially on longer journeys. 

Would suggest that you try a Kawasaki 750S; you could pick up a nice 2006 model year for £3K at a dealer or £2.5K private. The old Suzuki 1200 Bandit S would also be worthy of consideration.

Have fun and ride safe :biggrin: 

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

Welcome,

I'm 6ft 2 (&3/4's) and a lot heavier than you. After passing my test I went straight for a CBR600F and absolutely loved it. Comfy & quick enough - especially when you are used to an ER5.

Also have a look at a Triumph Daytona 650 - a little quicker and a roomy bike for a 600.

In the end follow your heart otherwise you'll end up disappointed.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Welcome

Well done for passing.

I am quite short 5'10 on a good day and weigh too much (podgy belly) I passed my test a couple of months ago and got a Honda cbr600FX ('99) for about £2,000 it had done 25k. I learnt on a 500cc Bandit and you can definitely feel the power difference but it brings a huge smile to my face every time I sit on her. It has enough power in those sticky situations when you need to get out the way of a lorry or there is a tw*t in a sup'd up car and you quite easily wipe the smile off their face. Back to the bike I would suggest a CBR600 as I find it easy to handle looks gorgeous adequate power. 

Best thing to do is go to a decent dealer and sit on the bikes and test them out for a good long time; at least 30 mins and if possible at a highish speed and vary the riding seeing the handling in town too.

But I love my CBR600 and would reccommend it to most people, bear in mind though I am short and have had to get mine lowered (yes I am that short:upset:)

AJ

Reply to this Topic
kyliewantsme

Mar 11

kyliewantsme says:

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback peeps :smile

That was exactly the feedback that I was hoping for.

Come the week end I will research a little more and try out a couple of machines. My brother has a Ninja so I didnt forget that. Now if they did one in blue......

Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
kyliewantsme

Mar 11

kyliewantsme says:

KPH speedo

Guys / Gals, what's the deal with imported bikes, you know the ones with KPH dials?
I notice they are much chepaer any particualr reason? Should i avoid?

Reply to this Topic
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

Blue ninja

Im sure they do a ZX9r in blue? dunno about the 6 though

Reply to this Topic
phowarth18

Sep 09

phowarth18 says:

Another choice

Have you thought about Sports Tourers? I love sports bikes, but unfortunately due to old injuries I find them uncomfertable to ride. I'm currently riding a VFR800, quick enough to be fun, but comfortable. I'm covering 160 mile a day.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices