Skip to content

Discuss This Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh

Valentino Rossi blamed a first corner mistake and a lack of strength in his right shoulder for his failure to finish higher than seventh position in his much-anticipated factory Ducati debut in Qatar. Rossi made a lightning start from ninth to take second at the first corner but immediately ran wide under braking. He fought Texan Ben Spies for sixth until lap...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 March 2011 11:03)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I'll take that bet!

seanfoley77. No money involved, just a "gentlemans bet" for pride. I say Rossi will win a race this year. You game?

Reply to this Topic
racinjetford

Nov 05

racinjetford says:

Worried for him

It would be an absolute shame for this to be the injury that ends Rossi's run at the top.  Has been going on for a while and we can just hope it heals so we can watch him fight

Reply to this Topic
goat46

Feb 09

goat46 says:

Vale

Do not play with moto cross machines anymore !!! I am sure they can sort his shoulder and when you consider he still beat Hayden , while still riding injured must at least give us all a hope for the future. I would hate to see him struggling just because the shoulder cannot take the pace anymore. If anyone can overcome this Vale can, he has done it before. You can sense I am a Rossi man bit I maust say Stoner earns our respect with the way he is riding the Honda and may shove Pedrosa out the team if he wins the title this year. All Honda have needed is a rider,much like Yamaha did when they signed Rossi.Still want to see the GOAT at the front in the future so we can be amazed at his talents for a few more years at least.( have put £50 quid on Stoner for the title --- oh come on ,it had to be done !!)

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Seanfoley77

Fair play :smile

And I reckon it'll be straight up, no luck involved. Time will tell 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
thezed111

Feb 11

thezed111 says:

interesting stats wosideg, i actualy think that was a good result for rossi, considering his condition and the problems  with the bike, i bet if he looks back  at the race today he would be pleased with that result,, did anyone see his save? not as good as edwards last year but still inpressive, bet that put some strain on his shoulder,,,,

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

A fit Rossi could of finished fourth

Rossi 100% fit would of placed fourth or at lest battled it out with Dovi and Simoncelli according to him in an interview given to an Italian Journo. He was confident he could of kept a high 1.55 pace for the entire race if fit. Then he goes one about his shoulder giving way and fading - more or less as above

He was then asked if he could compare his effort to Stoner on the Ducati, his response was that Stoner was 100% fit and knew the bike for four years, whereas he has only been on it for a few months. Then there is also a question of riding style. He was fast, but then he didn't win very often, especially in the last few seasons. He often rode at the limit but then made a mistake. Furthermore, Honda and Yamaha have improved more this year, and they are more competitive than last year, whereas the Ducati is more or less the same. But I am not riding like Stoner was... Quoted from www.moto.it 

Didn't win often???? He is right that Stoners win record dropped the last two years but overall he actually won more GP's than Rossi did on the Yamaha from 2007 to 2010. As for the Ducati performance being more or less the same, Rossi' best lap this year was a 1.56 flat, Stoner in only 5 laps before he binned it recorded a best lap of 1.55.5 (there is one of the mistakes). Half a second. Also Hayden's best lap last year was a 1.56.1 almost half a second faster than his best time of 1.56.6 this year. Seems like the Ducati isn't more or less the same. Whatever the changes to the GP11 factory team seems to have made them go backwards by almost half a second based on the Qatar outcome this year with last year. Sure conditions were different, tyres were different, however Barbera managed to better his race pace by more than half a second this year. Was his first race on the Ducati last year though. It does raise the question, has Rossi and Burgess's post valenica requests made things better or worse?

Still one race don't make a season and here's hoping that the new parts scheduled for Estoril can get the Ducati back at the front.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

plenty of promise shown yesterday

I dont know what the doom mongerers are banging on about , Rossi's rider on a half sorted and half heal after surgery shoulder was first class. A great start but could hold it on the brakes which is down to his weak shoulder and went well until he visibly tired.

What happened to the second coming of the messia ive heared about all winter ,Ben Spies. If anyone was a let down it was him. He only got past Rossi as he faded and i think afew of the gob shites on here should get their forks out ready for a large slice of humble pie.

No Rossi will get steadily stronger as the season wears on and he gets to grips with the bike, not up to his GOAT status yesterday true but a massive improvement of how it has gone so far.

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

well

If you checkout alex-briggs, on twitter, he s good to follow for 'info first and true'

He is saying rossi's shoulder is a factor, but it s more the bike been quote 'not competative enough'

It is still 'not the best bike in corners' and in need of 'work' to be up front.

Rossi's shoulder possibly costing him 0.5sec a lap, the rest in the bike.

I too think 7th is ok after two crashes causing major injuries, a change of manufacture (to a lesser set up bike), and a 32 year old multi millionaire competing against yonkers with nothing to lose.....

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

another stoner is god fan

Sean get your stoner blinks off and just see things for what they are. Casey on his day is the fastest guy on the planet at the moment, theres few bike fans who will argue over that. But what is to be proven yet is if he can string it together over the whole season and show that 07 wasnt a fluke or because of having the fasest bike out there.

Casey has pushed too hard into the last few seasons and crashed too often, thats a fact , Rossi isnt that type of rider and whilst still recovering from surgery showed a pretty good race and scored half decent points to get his championship challenge rolling. Casey was blazing fast at quatar last year but still left with no points.

Lorenzo showed his cool head yesterday for me, a solid second on an underpowered bike and is still the one to beat over the course of the season. Stoner needs to hit the level of consistency the Lorenzo shows if he is going to last the the course. But hey it was a great start wasnt it.

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

casey

binned it 5 times won three times (not until the thirteenth round) though

the previous season 09 he won four times.....the bike under casey due tolack of development was getting worse....

07 10 x wins, 08 x 6 wins, 09 x 4 wins, 10 x 3 wins...thats a mass of progression there...lol

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices