Skip to content

Discuss This Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh

Valentino Rossi blamed a first corner mistake and a lack of strength in his right shoulder for his failure to finish higher than seventh position in his much-anticipated factory Ducati debut in Qatar. Rossi made a lightning start from ninth to take second at the first corner but immediately ran wide under braking. He fought Texan Ben Spies for sixth until lap...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 March 2011 11:03)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

Personally I am a fan of both Rossi and Stoner.

Rossi is undoubtedly one of the greatest if not the greatest of all time. His record is undisputable.
Burgess and his crew are the most accomplished in the paddock, not just for what hey have done with Rossi but also Doohan and Gardiner before him.
Does it lessen what Rossi has achieved? To my way of thinking absolutely not. Has it worked in his favour? Most likely and also helped him develop to be the best development rider. But I also think that it has also cut both ways, the Rossi factor has also benefited Burgess and co.
Rossi is 32 and won on everything he has ridden and I think it will also be the case at Ducati, maybe not this year but I believe there is at least another world championship there before he calls it a day.
I also believe that Rossi and Burgess underestimated just how difficult a task they have in front of them. Each rider other than Stoner including Capirossi since moving to the 800cc have had problems with Ducati. Before he went to Yamaha the bike wasn’t winning and from memory had scored only a few podiums the season before they shifted. They knew the task was enormous. Whereas before moving to Ducati the bike was winning, less than 2007, but still winning. In fact Rossi made reference to this difference between the move to Yamaha and Ducati in the media many times and how that would work in their favour. However IMHO they underestimated the Stoner factor in those wins and I do not think it is completely Stoner’s fault that the bike is a difficult beast to tame. It was in 2007 as well, however he won on it though. Personally if I was a Ducati engineer, I would of been concerned that I was building bikes that no one else seemed to be able to come to terms with paricularily after 2008… They are doing something about that and hence getting Rossi on board.

Stoner is 25, 7 years Rossi’s junior. He is fast, possibly one of the fastest out there however I do not think he has the race craft of Rossi yet and certainly not the development rider that Rossi is. While completely not his fault, the Ducati is testament to that. However he is maturing and improving both as a rider and also on how he presents on and off the track. He is no longer that petulant kid, which hasn’t helped him. It is obvious that Honda haven’t recruited him to develop the bike, they have recruited him to be fast and to try and win the championship. One race into the job and he has dialled in but one race don't make a season nor a championship. But gees he looked good, in fact personally one of the most satisfying wins I have seen particularly the way he stalked Pedrosa. I think with time his development ability will improve and the Ducati experience and now the Honda gig will be a great learning curve for him. Will he one day be able to emulate Rossi’s individual record in the top class? Not likely, however I think when it is time to call it a day, he will walk away with an excellent record and a lot more than one championship under his belt. The fact he has won more races to date in the 800cc era is testament to how good he is…

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The same argument everytime Wosi

You, SM, Buelligan, Leemuz, Leecho et al will try to denigrate Stoner at every opportunity. It's up to a few of us to put your pathetic contortions straight!

I must say all of the above have been conspicuously silent. Wonder why?

By the way Wosideg. Is this article not about Rossi's shortcomings?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

good post

maazzz1..nice to hear someone talking some sense and not squabbling like children.
nostro you are wrong.I have never put Stoner down in anyway..never even called him a moaner infact I have probably stuck up for him if anything.
I have great respect for all the riders on that grid and do not have a clear favourite although I will say with confidence Stoner has a long way to go to equal Rossi in every way.He may do that in the future but I somehow doubt it.
Personally this season I would like to see Pedrosa take the title not because I dont like Stoner but because the guy has had so much bad luck and puts in so much effort he fully deserves to take a motogp title.

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

and just on a final note, being as objective as I can be, Stoner is unfairly slated, not just here but also in the media and he is not a nuff nuff when it comes to bike development and set up as some try to point out, he is at a different stage of his career and racing development.

It is no secret that Rossi's digs or comments in the media have fueled some of the Stoner myths and are testimony that even the great man sees Stoner as a threat and/or his main rival, probably even more so now along with Lorenzo, Pedrosa and maybe even Spies and Simoncelli if they live up to the early promise they have shown!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The pressure getting to you Wosi

Reverting to type with the put downs. It must be hard to fight your corner when the ammunition cupboard is so bare.

Buelligan. Sorry if I miscast you.

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

wosideg

I read that (5 month old article) and it says nothing about Stoner's development ability. It even says "he is able to understand the performance of the bike from first lap". What more do they need from a rider exactly? If the Ducati has problems, then Preziosi shares most of the blame. He is responsible for its development. If engineers are not giving the rider new parts and designs to evaluate than there is no development, doesn't matter who the rider is. And it's not like Preziosi said Stoner was defensive about his setup, it was a random journalist asking a loaded question. Besides all this is irrelevent. All agree the Honda is currently the best sorted bike on the grid which makes Pedrosa the best devlopment rider

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

No you can't!

Not until you've had your shots and gone through a thorough re-education programme Wosideg.

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

Like I said, objectively as I can be... and I stand by what I say. Rossi is also known to play things out through the media. I have seen many a program go off on a tangent and focus completely on Rossi's comment / observation, admittedly mostly in Italy but still Rossi's achievements and persona are such that he is great with the media and when he speaks people listen. Not all of what he says though is the way it should be or as it is.

Opinions are exactly that, opinions...

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

This started because

somebody claimed Stoner was a more complete rider/racer than Rossi. Hands up if you agree with that.

I read through pages of crap telling me that Rossi is finished because he hasn't won the championship by the first race of the season. I mostly ignore it because it is as I said, crap. But every now and again I feel the need to exercise my right to reply. I don't think thats unreasonable.

clicker, how can I possibly dictate anything to you, or alter your life in any way with my comments? If you don't like it, don't buy it. nuf sed

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Wosideg

Now you're having a go at Pedrosa. The man responsible (in the manner of Rossi as developer) for what the RCV is today. It's a multi theistic GP world Wosideg. Open your eyes to more than one God.

And what parts?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices