Skip to content

Discuss This Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles to seventh

Valentino Rossi blamed a first corner mistake and a lack of strength in his right shoulder for his failure to finish higher than seventh position in his much-anticipated factory Ducati debut in Qatar. Rossi made a lightning start from ninth to take second at the first corner but immediately ran wide under braking. He fought Texan Ben Spies for sixth until lap...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 March 2011 11:03)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Bravo racinjetford

for your 'Wow' piece, way down this list. Right on the money.

Wosi. I have since read the Sportbike article you originally referred to which is not specific about the nature of the deflection nor at what point it occurs. But I will accept that is is possible that the steel trellis headstock was twisting some 25mm from a static position some way down the line between steering head and swingarm pivot point during extreme cornering. Although the quote says "steel tube frame would flex as much as five centimeters (about two inches) under heavy braking." This makes no sense from a straight up and down braking forces position.

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

really enjoyed your posts madmac and racinjetford... they didn't bag anyone including other posters 

cheers

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

duke...

The duke is far from been a GOOD bike...It is years behind development cause it had casey on it going backwards in terms of wins etc.

He could ride the arse of it but was throwing it down the track too often.

As quick as he was he was going backwards and he new it hence the jump to Honda.

It will take time for Vale to turn the bike around, the shoulder thing is a bit of a mask although i do know a mate who did a similar thing and never rode his motocross bike for a year while he heald.

So the shoulder may well be a factor although not as much of a factor as the bike been under developed at the mo....

I honestly think rossi will be gunning to win next year not this year...when all the bikes are on an even playing field...

Reply to this Topic
BBQdog

Jul 10

BBQdog says:

Developing 2 bikes

Does Ducati have the money and the recourses to develop 2 bikes at the same time ?

The 800cc which will be obsolete the next year, and the 1000cc. A lot of effort for such a

small compagny. 

Reply to this Topic
Dave Tuplin

Aug 02

Dave Tuplin says:

Confusion and Opinions

Motorcycle racing is a team sport, riders, design and engineers all have to work cohesively in order to get the right result - a win/championship. The rider is the stiker (in football terms) who finishes the move off but he has to get himself into a strong position by communicating what he needs doing to the bike to makes sure he can reach his "potential" (as they always say).

Communication is a two way street, the rider to engineers but also the engineers to rider, if they do not work as a team then set up development takes the wrong direction and how many times have we heard of teams going in circles? If the biek has reached it's potential the engineers need to communciate to designers what they need to work with to allow them to engineer the bike to its potential.

OK, someone stated Rossi is requesting major design changes, whereas Burgess says major changes aren't really necessary. In Rossis eyes (talented but not an engineer) the changes are probably huge in his opinion. To Burgess, engineer par excellence, the changes are relative easy in his opinion. It is not conflict in the team.

As for comparison of Stoner on a GP10 wining a race compared to Rossi on a GP11 finishing 7th, the bike designation illustrates, although similar they are not the same bike. Comparisons in this instance are not relevant, although putting them against each other in a head to head Ducati showdown would be interesting!

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

QUITE POSSIBLY

The most sensible un bias post on here for a long time...

If more people posted thing like this there woul'nt be anywhere near the arguing going on that there is...

Good on ya Dave

Reply to this Topic
slit

Mar 11

slit says:

2 cents

My opinion of the last race is that VR is far from 'old' or finished as VR haters are repeating since Nov 2007 (I can't tell you how annoying this mantra is in italian websites). After 2007, he went on to win 2 more Championships and, last year, before injury to the leg was losing to JL 2 wins to 1 - taking also into account that the injury to the shoulder happened after the first race of the season. As for what VR is doing on the ducati compared to what CS did. What did NH did in 2010 and in 2011? That's the only constant in that bike, and that constant shows that in 2011 he is going slower.

As for the reason why I think nobody will replace rossi: VR is the most complete rider in the last 10-15 years, and he gives spectators the most incredible show - I've never seen CS, JL or Pedro doing anything like e.g  Catalunya or Laguna - and bear in mind those two races were when he was already OLD accoding to critics. Does any of you (hater) experts remember Doohan? He started winning at 29 and went on till he was 34, and would not have stopped if not for that terrible injury once again. VR is 32 this year. LOL.
Sorry, but VR is like Maradona. There may be Zidanes, Ronaldinhos and Ronaldos, but there's only one Maradona, and the day VR retires is gonna be a blow for whole motorracing, not so with the likes of CS or JL, like it or not. Think about it, VR is the unit of reference, if you want to say someone is REALLY a champion, you say he can beat VR. You don't say he can beat CS or JL.
I just can't wait for the remaining of the season. It's like 1967 when everybody was saying the beatles were over because they hadn't published a record in a while. Behind closed doors, the four were just laughing coz they were working on Sgt Peppers. Same here, I'm just laughing. I only wish the VERY same haters who criticize VR after the first race will have the courage to turn up when he shuts up everybody once again. Coz that's typical of forums (at least italian ones): VR haters flourish when things seem to be going bad for him, they just disappear as if by miracle when he proves once again he is the true champion. There's one ali, one beatles, one maradona, one rossi.

Reply to this Topic
kaiser954rr

Apr 10

kaiser954rr says:

and the sport rolls on

after VR. Maradona was great and once he hung up his boots football stopped. No wait, that didn't happen. Why? Because no one person is the sport. Some may hate VR but most except his talent but are fed up with the constant excuses and moaning. Man up and let the results do the talking.

Reply to this Topic
slit

Mar 11

slit says:

and

your point being? VR's recovering from a serious injury which is in a part of the body which is crucial for riding a bike, and you say man up? And of course you're the big man, yeah, big man? mmmh, I know you're THE MAN, no silly me, I should call you GLADIATOR, that's why you can say VR is a poor sissy, my apologies, all my respect sweetheart.

Reply to this Topic
timgsxr

Mar 11

timgsxr says:

young guns

I remember Rossi as a young upstart. He wowed everyone and the older heads got their noses out of joint aint that the way of things. He is a genious.on a bike but age does catch up with all of us.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle