Skip to content

Discuss This Japan earthquake delays Honda 1000cc track debut MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Japan earthquake delays Honda 1000cc track debut

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Japan earthquake delays Honda 1000cc track debut

Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami delayed the track debut of Honda's new four-stroke 1000cc MotoGP machine being developed for the 2012 MotoGP campaign.The bike was due to be track tested for the first time last week, but HRC boss Shuhei Nakamoto admitted the test was cancelled following the magnitude 9.0 earthquake.Honda was to have used the Twin Ring Motegi circuit...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 March 2011 10:35)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Minty Fresh

Mar 08

Minty Fresh says:

Shame but....

I don't think this will effect the end result! I think that the 2012 1000cc RCV will be a well sorted rocket ship next season!! They are not going to let a re run of the 800cc era happen thats fo shizzle!!!

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

The first of the new breed

now that will be interesting - anyone seen tech data as yet?

Reply to this Topic
thelegend68

Jun 10

thelegend68 says:

Confused??

Can anyone help I'm not clear as to what the regs are for 2012.

I thought that teams could run 1000cc bikes because they're cheaper and ergo would help out privateer teams.

Does this mean that all teams will be having to run 1000cc and therefore end the 800cc era??

Reply to this Topic
hondarc30

Jul 09

hondarc30 says:

Production/Prototype

I thought the 2012 rules allow the use of a production 1000cc engine with mods to run against pure prototype 800cc machines. This helps keep down engine costs for privateers in motoGP. Does this mean that Honda's 1 litre 2012 engine is based on the CBR in-line 4 engine or is it still a v4? Will we see a production 1000cc v4 from Honda?

Anyone have any more info?

Reply to this Topic
hondarc30

Jul 09

hondarc30 says:

v5 ??

Is it possible that Honda would resurrect that gorgeous 1 litre v5 engine and make one available as a production machine to regulate it. Yes please !!

Reply to this Topic
TwoSkoops

Aug 10

TwoSkoops says:

Bore...

My understanding is that 1000cc engines with a bore of up to 83mm can be used whether that be factory prototype or modified production engines, but at the same time they can still choose to run their 800cc bikes in the same way they did when 4 strokes first came in and they let the two strokes still compete.  I think the BMW's S1000R is an 83mm bore which is probably why Suter used it as the motor for their 2012 bike. 

One of the reasons they are cheaper for private teams is because they don't need to lease an 800cc engine/bike from one of the manufactuers for crazy money - instead they just buy a production engine for peanuts and modify the tits off it then stick it in their chosen chasis.  They can't do this at the moment because currently no-one makes suitable 800cc engines.  I'm still not fully convinced this will be any good for the privateer teams though because you can put money on the factory teams developing mental 1000cc prototype engines that are beyond the competition level of the production based engines - Jury still out on that I guess.

Reply to this Topic
hondarc30

Jul 09

hondarc30 says:

Quote...

found this quote from FIM boss Vito Ipolito....

“The main changes we have decided on are new rules for the MotoGP class. We will have four cylinder engines, 4-stroke of course, with a 1000cc maximum, and the bore of the cylinders will be 81mm. This base will give all the manufacturers the opportunity to start work. At the beginning of next year we will produce the new rules in a more complete format, but that is the basis; 2012 will be the year of a new era of MotoGP.”

Production based engine or prototype is up to the teams.... no v5 then .. : (

Maybe we will see a 1 litre production v4 .... : )

Reply to this Topic
keith24

Jul 04

keith24 says:

yes please

1000 cc V4 " fireblade " replacement .... uuummmmmm http://superstreetbike.automotive.com/112215/0906-sbkp-2010-honda-rc30x/index.html

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

No V5

Maximum amount of cylinders is set at 4. For the 1000cc engines both factory and CRT maximum bore is set. CRT gets to use more engines and more fuel than factory teams.

Reply to this Topic
blzebub

Aug 09

blzebub says:

just to prove it's quantity not quality that gets you rated this twat below now has a silver rating? WTF

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices