Skip to content

General near miss (ish) General

You are in... Forums > General > General > near miss (ish)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jamm13dodger

Oct 06

jamm13dodger says:

near miss (ish)

Almost at home tonight just coming past the local corner shop and someone pulls out from the other side of the road right in front of me. Grab plenty of brake, swerve into the curb and just about avoid them. Not quite though. Bike is fine, right knee is a bit sore but I don't think it's anything serious.

The womans car on he other hand, oh dear! The bumper was almost torn off, the wheel arch is knee shaped and the front off side lights are a mess.

We've swapped details and i've told her to let me know what she decides to do Re: insurance. I hope I won't have to claim as I have no damage and i'd rather not affect the NCB but what do you lot think?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 March 2011 18:42)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

women car driver

Sorry mate I think she will claim -  it would not enter her head to not process the claim. Don't forget it was 100% her fault so her insurance company will be looking to mitigate the claim from you, if she has a witness to claim you were speeding etc etc.then they will try and put some of the fault on to you. I suggest you get your leg checked out and inform the insurance company. Depending on your excess I would go through the bike with a fine tooth comb wheels frame and ensure every little scratch scrape or mark is recorded.

Your NCB should not be affected if it is 100% her fault but check out the legal section on this forum.

Have fun.

Reply to this Topic
jamm13dodger

Oct 06

jamm13dodger says:

i'll call them tomorrow.

I'd just had to slow down to avoid a car on the wrong side of the road (which was passing her) so I must have only been going 15mph maybe even less. I'll double check the bike tomorrow morning but the knee already feels like nothing happened. I've always felt the knee armour was uncomfortable and considered removing it a few times but i'm very glad I didn't now. Trousers and right boot are slightly scuffed but that's it. Feeling very lucky right now. if she'd been quicker and i'd been going 30mph I suspect i'd have hit the cast iron bollards on the side of the road there. I'll call my insurance tonight and let them know what's happening.

She said she didn't see me at all but I suspect that's usually the case :dopeyhmmmm:

Cheers, JD

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Reported it?

I hope you reported it to the police, mate.   Any claim is going to want a report, and you want to get your side in first.  Otherwise, she's probably going to say she turned into the road normally and this idiot comes flying from nowhere and slams into the back of her.

Reply to this Topic
jamm13dodger

Oct 06

jamm13dodger says:

Didn't think to call the police - damn!

She didn't turn into the road though. She was parked on the other side (facing the oncoming traffic)  and then pulled off from the kerb into me. No indicator or otherwise.  

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

accident

Police are not interested in accidents unless somebody is injured or there is a confliction at the scene (your going to have a fat knee tomoz:shock:).It`s now your ins com (if fully com)  and the third party ins com to battle,they will try there best to get out of paying.Both ins com will suggest for 50/50 because they can`t be arsed to sort it,been there done it.I had to insist on my ins com to get a copy of the other drivers report of the accident,upon doing so i had visit from there rep/engineer and was paid out.By the way i was in a cage.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Near miss (ish)

Jam

I'd just had to slow down to avoid a car on the wrong side of the road (which was passing her) so I must have only been going 15mph maybe even less.

Grab plenty of brake, swerve into the curb and just about avoid them. Not quite though.

I really hope you are ok and you get things sorted, but reading some of your comments in your opinion do you think that it could have in any way be avoided?

Yes I know the car pulled out from the curb facing the wrong way on the wrong side of the road and she was definately the cause of the incident. But the fact that you had already clocked someone else avoiding her and that you had already slowed down to 15mph or slower.

You make it sound, that you can't stop a bike at 15mph? If you are relatively new to biking well then fair enough.

What worries me is this was a slow speed incident, what would have been the case had it been at a higher speed?

From what I have read this maybe could have been avoided, drivers pull out on us all the time, we as bikers have to anticpate that, and be ready to take action.

Have you ever considered doing a Bikesafe course?

I have been where you are now, luckily for me I didn't get my leg crushed or get falttened by a lorry! At he time they were the dickheads because the cut me up. But looking back it was me who was the dickhead for thinking I was in the right and not slowing down, and NOT thinking of my own safety first. (Thanks Tenbears for the hint)

Hope you get things sorted soon,

Take care and ride safe.:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tbird98

Mar 09

tbird98 says:

Near miss!

I had a similar incident about 6 years ago on my ZX6.  I was filitering down a line of cars queuing on the A4 near Heathrow (only doing about 20 mph) when one of the cages decided to do a U turn straight into my path.  I braked and swerved but still caught the wing of the car with my knee and his hub cap with my left hand engine casing.  Smashed the hub cap and dented the wing, and lightly scratched the left hand lower panel of the fairing and casing.

I called my insurance company to inform them, and told them I wasn't making a claim, then two weeks later got a letter from them informing me that the accident was my fault as I had overtaken a car indicating to turn right!  The car was a hire car and the driver was avoiding paying the excess!  The driver also claimed to have 3 witnesses that would confirm my actions were wrong (but all of them from inside his hired car).

I wrote back with photos of the scene, showing there wasn't actually anywhere for the car to have been turning, naming 3 witnesses of my own, and informing them that if they insisted on pursuing the claim for the car, about £175, I was going to counter claim for a new panel and engine casing, around £400.

Strangely enough they never pursued it any further!

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

If she said

"sorry, I didn't see you" she has admitted liability. Report that in your statement to your insurer.

As Steveyman said could you have been more proactive in avoiding the accident?  Not criticising, just a query.  Would echo the Bikesafe recommendation too.

We all have lapses of concentration, most of the time we get away with them.  When we don't, as bikers, we suffer more due to our vulnerabilty.

Reply to this Topic
TenBears

Aug 02

TenBears says:

@steveyman
But looking back it was me who was the dickhead .... for thinking of my own safety first.

Don't quite get you there.

@jammy13dodger
Some salient points raised earlier re: avoidance but at least you survived relatively unscaithed – award yourself a war feather for that one.
 :wink:
I think witnesses might be key here and you haven't mentioned you have any.
Hope it works out.

Reply to this Topic
jamm13dodger

Oct 06

jamm13dodger says:

I've been wondering that myself

re: avoidance. Not sure. I'll try and draw a sketch. Always cars parked there and I think it;s a case of the lack of indication and the very sharp angle she came onto my side of the road meant there was nowhere to go. I was almost along side her when she pulled out. Suspect she looked over the shoulder and I was blocked by one of the pillars. She didn't know I was there till I hit the car! Complained about my speed but then said "Sorry, I didn't; see you" My response was "How do you know how fast I was going?" :blink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle