Ask an Expert Pillion Insurance Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Pillion Insurance

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ST1300courier

Mar 11

Pillion Insurance

I use my bike for my work and have it insured third party only to reduce costs. My insurer has put a couple of restrictions on use, no riding of other bikes - OK, no big deal for me, and no pillion cover. Being an aged motorcyclist I can remember a big fuss being made many years ago when pillion insurance was made compulsory. Has that been changed ? I never take a pillion but just supposing I did, would I be riding illegally or would it just be a matter of the pillion passenger not being covered by my insurance in the event of an accident?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 March 2011 20:15)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
paulnwt

Jun 08

paulnwt says:

You're not covered

If you carry a pillion your are effectively riding with no insurance. It will qualify you for six points and a fine. If you have an accident you will have to pay compensation to the passenger out of your own pocket and you may even face a an additional undue care charge. If you want to carry passengers, let your insurance know. Adding it to your policy shouldn't cost much if anything at all. I do also remember that I asked for just third party only insurance once and it was even more expensive than TPFT. Make sure you explore your insurance options properly and that it fits your needs. It will cost you less should anything happen.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

pillion

I`m insured for a pillion cover but the pillions are not insured.  

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Pillions

paulnwt says:

You're not covered

If you carry a pillion your are effectively riding with no insurance. It will qualify you for six points and a fine.

Wrong on both counts. Compulsory insurance for the road applies to Third Party risks only as a legal minimum. Pillions are not Third Parties.
It means that your pillion cannot claim against your insurance in the event of an injury-accident.

Bollox about 'undue care' charge as well. You may well get charged with any of the categories relating to careless/dangerous driving but this has nowt to do with having/not having pillion insurance.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Pillion insurance

Was surprised to be asked about this, and since it's only likely to be the misses on the sports bike once in a blue moon, I was a bit hesitant.   But they said it's only maybe 2% on top of the standard.  Asked for a quote with and without such cover, that confirmed we were only talking about a few quid.

What is a bit annoying, though, is who asks you if you're going to be taking passengers when you get car insurance?  I've never been asked!   Why are bikes getting the third degree and premiums for passengers then?  :mad:

Reply to this Topic
JohnBiker4

Oct 08

JohnBiker4 says:

Pillion Insurance

You can put restrictions on your policy, such as limiting the annual mileage and cover for pillions, subject to the insurer. In reality, it may only be the difference of a few pounds anyway. Even if you carry a pillion once in a blue moon, I would never chance not having insurance to cover them. Sod's Law says that it will be on the occasion that you will be carrying the pillion when you have an accident. Now, it will not matter from a compensation point of view if the accident wasn't your fault but if it was or even partly your fault, you could be seriously out of pocket by thousands of pounds. From my point of view, not only do I have a duty and responsibility to other road users but more so to my pillion who put their trust in me. I am not going to let them down by not properly insuring them.

Reply to this Topic
ST1300courier

Mar 11

Pillion insurance

Unfortunately it is not a question of having pillion cover "for a few pounds", my insurer has said if I want to carry a passenger he won't insure me. Which brings me to the first part of my question; I thought pillion cover was compulsory, when did it not become so?

Reply to this Topic
Z1000MAN

Oct 10

Z1000MAN says:

legal robbery !

" it may only be the difference of a few pounds anyway "

it is not only a few pounds. I'm paying £110 extra, for a pillion cover. :mad:

btw ; this country sucks

Reply to this Topic
mzrider

Aug 02

mzrider says:

Pillion insurance

Like ST1300, I am old enough to remember when it became a legal requirement for all motorcyclists to have pillion insurance in the 1970's - no exceptions were allowed.  Even one of the people I worked with had to pay the extra on his Puch Maxi, and it only had a single seat.
I think the insurance companies are pulling a fast one here and it this needs to be challenged. 
If you refused insurance for carrying a pillion I would take it to the insurance ombudsman for clarification. 
Maybe MCN could investigate this further, after al they do have the expertise to do this.

Reply to this Topic
brownyh1

Jul 11

brownyh1 says:

Can a pillion insure themselves?

Is there such a thing as personal pillion insurance so the pillion passenger is covered, or would the bike insured still be invalidated through carrying a passenger?

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Pillions

Brownyh1 says:
"....or would the bike insured still be invalidated....."

There's nothing to invalidate as it's not compulsory!

If you don't opt to have pillion insurance, the insurance company won't pay any compensation to an injured pillion passenger. If they wish, they may claim against you personally, so if you carry a pillion, it's probably best to have insurance.

I'm sure a pillion could take out personal accident insurance to cover this for themselves if they wanted.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices