Skip to content

Discuss This Return of speed control threat General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Return of speed control threat

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Return of speed control threat

A bike throttle which gets stiffer to force the rider to slow down has been developed in a European Commission research project. The system uses an electric motor attached to the throttle cable to increase stiffness when an onboard computer calculates the bike is going too fast. It could be used, along digital maps and GPS, to prevent speeding or...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 March 2011 17:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

How much

Does a Throttle cable cost? I can see many snapping if this came in, as people fight against the motors trying to close the throttle.

I think most of you have it exactly right in saying this technology would be dangerous, by taking the control away from the rider. In my opinion, the way to the safer roads is not speed limits and camera's and technology that removes your ability to control your vehicle, but better education and training. As it stands, everyone knows you learn to pass your test, then you learn to ride/drive on the road. Speed isnt the problem, its not being trained to handle it or to correct it if things start to go wrong and/or not knowing when it is or isn't safe to be travelling quickly, i.e built up areas and the like.

And as far as the spam comments go, I've said this once already, CAPTCHA CODES as part of leaving a comment! Get on it MCN! I personally wouldn't go to the extreme of refusing to log onto your website or buy MCN, but I share hondarc30's (and I reckon everyone elses) frustrations, and can see how it may drive him to abandon MCN altogether. Sort it out!

Reply to this Topic
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

hmm

could the vibrating glove be wired up to your pants ?

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Same for all!

I will quite happily fit this system to my bikes, straight after they fit them to all the cars on the road so we are all equal. Sheer stupidity like this comes from people who are totally out of touch with reality. Do they ever, in their wildest dreams think utter crap like this will ever happen. This is just a bunch of people trying to justify a job which serves no useful purpose.

Reply to this Topic
BusaBeater

Aug 02

BusaBeater says:

It's a crap idea (where's my cutters ?)

Also, when are MCN gonna stop these spamming tossers with their feckin clothing ads ?

Reply to this Topic
tockie

Aug 10

tockie says:

lorenzo99

Exactly right mate, they fuckin hate us with a passion. People are up in arms about the proposed rail line HS2 but not on the grounds of speed, just the route. Why is it acceptable for a train to be doing in excess of 200 mph when it is such a mortal sin to be doing a few mph over the speed limit on the road.? 

Reply to this Topic
46Steve

Mar 11

46Steve says:

Have your say

Take a look at this page. Make your Views count. Fight back. http://fema.ridersrights.org/docs/saferiderPR.pdf

Reply to this Topic
Ralinoco

Nov 08

Ralinoco says:

bye bye freedom?

Take a look also at what other legislation the E.U. want to bring in and what the Motorcycle Action Group are doing to prevent our freedom being eroded away, better still make your contribution by actually joining M.A.G. then get "active" by contacting your M.P. I did and surprisingly they don't bite and some are very receptive to our views, after all they work for us and you never know they may well have a couple of bikes in their shed!( like our local M.P.) 

Reply to this Topic
olly8000

Apr 07

olly8000 says:

Idiots

Utter Utter Crap who in their stupid small minded world thought this up how about fitting accelerators to cars which are harder to push!!!???

Reply to this Topic
britri123

Dec 07

britri123 says:

Speed control

Perhaps now its time for everyone to join MAG. Love them or hate them they are the only voice we have. For a measily £25 a year they will fight in our corner. Get your heads out of the sand folks and join up to protect our future.

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

Freedom bye bye

Ralinoco, I went to see my Tory M.P. as a follow up to the Mass Lobby organised by M.A.G. and B.M.F.. She was very nice and tried to be supportive, forwarding my letter to Transport Minister and asking many of the questions I raised. The reply I got back basically said that this was a safety measure and if it was alright with the E.U., it was alright with them. The bike taxation policy was something they had inherited, so it was OK (apparently) for George Osborne to put the road tax up.

The lobby by the British motorcyclists was very vocal to the point one E.U. official said he wanted the views of British motorcyclists to be disregarded over ABS and "no tamper" legislation still being fought over.

There you go.

Join M.A.G.. Vote to change the electoral system. Vote UKIP. Lets get out of Europe - they hate the British.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices