Skip to content

Discuss This Honda Crossrunner first ride: "Great fun on twisty roads" First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda Crossrunner first ride: "Great fun on twisty roads"

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda Crossrunner first ride: "Great fun on twisty roads"

Road Test Editor, Phil West, is in Majorca testing the all new Honda Crossrunner and here are his first impressions. "Some cynics have been dismissing the Honda Crossrunner as little more than the old Honda VFR800 in a frock, having ridden it up to a point it is, but that’s no bad thing and it’s also much more than that. "Yes, the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (31 March 2011 13:17)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Weighty

Mar 11

Weighty says:

Cross tourer

Let's be honest everyone was waiting for the cross tourers which looks like a much more useful version of the vfr1200 and I and my friends thinks is a pretty classy looking bike the crossrunner though looks wise is a mish mash of design ideas without deciding what it want to be come on Honda release the crossstourer you haven't released a new touring bike in 10 years and no the the new gold wing doesn't count

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

Im sure it will be a good bike, but it's just as sexy as a Vstrom. Couldnt buy a bike I didnt think looked kind of cool at least. This just looks different, not in a good way.

Reply to this Topic
daveb

Aug 02

daveb says:

Jesus. Sorry, but with my cynical hat on that looks like one shit-ugly excuse for a bike. Who designed that sorry-looking fairing? It looks like it's been dremmel cut from a Qualcast's lawn box.

You could buy this eyesore, or you could save yourself a million piss-takes and the thick end of (I suspect) £8k and simply buy a two-year old Varadero.

Crossrunner, my arse.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

(they're back)

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

The beak

Just remind me, just how many decades ago did BMW come up with a beak?

What about a refreshing styling change, just for a bit of variety. It's getting so hard to differentiate different bikes.

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

While beauty may be in the

eye of the beholder, perhaps in this case it helps to be partially blind. However, I am sure that Honda have produced a bike that does what it says on the tin.

A bike does not have to have off-road credentials to qualify as an Adventure bike. Just ask the two teenagers who took their mopeds to Wales as few months back. Perhaps we have simply become somewhat used to the concept without understanding the definition.

While the sportsbike riders amongst us may disagree, there is certainly a shift towards a more upright posture in bikes today, and the sales figures would seem to back that up. Arse in the air riding is fine for some, but not necessarily for all.

As for the beak, looking at it, it seems that it is more of a styling line than a true beak. It doesn't extend too far beyond the headlight, and compared to a BMW GS or a Tiger XC, it's pretty minimal. A quick paint job could eliminate the problem, by blending the darker upper fairing with the lower radiator cowl.

I'm not so sure that the Cross-Tourer will challenge BMW any more than the Yamaha Super Tenere has. With the Yen so strong, it's unlikely to match it for price, and the effect of the earthquake on production has to be taken into account.

Reply to this Topic
twowheeltours

Mar 11

Bikes must be nice looking, cool or be part of some history. The new Honda has nothing of above mentioned. Honda should use the Teneretrick and look back in it´s great history and find an old Africa Twin in some Basement in Hamatsu. Restyle it and give it a new engine in order to take sales from the GS 800 and the GS 1200. The new Tiger 800 is spot on but the crossrunner will dance for two or three summers. I´m still waiting for next years Crossrunner with the basics coming from the VFR 1200 but it sounds like heavy stuff. I can see  husband and wife practising on their grasslawn how to lift the bike after they have dropped it before they go on holiday

Please Honda! You make the best bikes in the world so why can´t you produce a Varadero and a VFR without overweight.

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

I Like it

I hope a spoke wheel version is available , i have a Tiger 800XC and love it but would have a look at this if they do a spoke version with a normal clutch and gearbox as i hate all this auto stuff , i just want to ride a normal bike

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Oh dear god just fuck off will you.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Extras!

Has anyone seen the price of accessories?  £1400 quid for panniers and top box, nearly £500 for heated grips and a centre stand!!!!!!! Honda are taking the piss and don't deserve  to sell any. Sorry to resort to crude language but thats how its made me feel! You can buy a full set of luggage for a Triumph for half that price. And how did they manage to fit a 21.5 litre tank into this when they could only manage 18 litres in the VFR 1200?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices