Skip to content

Discuss This Did traffic chicane kill two bikers? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Did traffic chicane kill two bikers?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Did traffic chicane kill two bikers?

Motorcycle groups are questioning the safety of traffic-calming chicanes after two riders were killed when a driver didn’t seen them. Claire Cooper, 26, was cleared of two counts of causing death by careless driving after she pulled into the right-of-way of experienced motorcyclists Andrew Burns, 45, and Wayne Walker, 39 The BMF and MAG say someone must be to blame for the two riders’ deaths, and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (31 March 2011 17:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

it is so easy to take a life these days if you are a car driver, one of my learned friends once told me that if I wanted to kill someone and get away with it then use a car to do it. These vile bastards (Judges) don't care if they are accomplices to murder, how many of the jurors were motorcyclists? no way would any rider let her off.

Reply to this Topic
MattMorris

Sep 09

MattMorris says:

Bullshit

She kills 2 bikers, wasn't speeding and was fully concentrating on the road? At 30MPH? Bullshit. You can bet your arse that if a biker had hit a pedestrian under the same circumstances they'd be in prison by now. Once again the assumption is the bikers must be at fault because....err..well,, err.. well they're bikers so they must be in the wrong. Sincere condolences to the families who have been failed by our "justice" system.

Reply to this Topic
Gerry45

Mar 11

Gerry45 says:

We have these type of chicanes in a village near me. There were 7 accidents on the same day they were installing them. People tend to tailgate the car in front so they don't see the approaching car or bike. I have had several near misses due purely to the drivers not wanting to give way. Ours also have very little in warning markings on them only a single arrow. they have been knocked over many times. These have been purely put in to stop the minority of speeding drivers through the village.  It may have been a tragic accident but she should have been more severely punished. It will be the only way to stop these unecessary deaths.

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Expendable bikers

Time and time again I have been a victim of these damn death traps, usually by women coming the other way, they just do not stop or even slow down, even when I'm driving a coach!

They have absolutely no idea what the signs mean and probably don't even see them. How in the name of sanity did she get away with killing two people?

If I went into the street and shot two people, would I get away scot free by claiming I didn't see them? Heck I would, I'd be doing life in prison.

Another blatant bit of proof that bikers are considered expendable and not regarded as normal human beings!

And if she really didn't see them, then that is causing death by careless driving, at the very least. I suspect there were no witnesses to the crash therefore it was just her word taken.

Any way, these damn so called 'traffic calming' measures are dangerous and always will be, you cannot stick something in the middle of the road and expect it to be safe, it's rediculous, they cuase more problems than they cure.

My deepest sympathy for the families of the two INNOCENT bikers xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

they put a chicane

on a road next a playground in my home town unsuprisingly the acident rate went throu the roof and it was promplty removed as some birk wanting to get throu first sped up without bothering to look and hit a kiddy luckily the kid was fine unfortunatley for the driver and the town council there parents were lawyers or some such cost the council more money than it would have to simply put in some trafic lights so the kids could cross the road safley

Reply to this Topic
C_ED_99

Nov 04

C_ED_99 says:

Ridiculous

My deepest sympathies to the families of the two men that died :(

It's ridiculous that she didn't have the right of way and ended up killing two people and barely gets a slap on the wrist...

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

It's a "heads we win, tails you lose" situation... if we ride in a group & someone on another bike is killed in an accident we are prosecuted for Death by Dangerous, but someone clearly kills 2 riders by driving into them & gets let off.

I've had people drive into the back of me in these traffic calming zones as they tried to get through quickly before another car came & didn't see me braking for another obstacle... anything that puts 2 opposing lanes of traffic through 1 lane is going to result in accidents... it's not rocket science... a school kid could predict it. Dumb!

Reply to this Topic
dlbob

Sep 08

dlbob says:

The sign does not say taffic in the chicane has right of way. It says the car in the photo has right off way.

Reply to this Topic
dlbob

Sep 08

dlbob says:

Can any one tell us the street name for the accident site. Want to view the scene in Google Earth Streetview to see both approaches.

Reply to this Topic
Julesholling

May 10

Julesholling says:

@dlbob - The car does have right of way if there is another vehicle approaching the chicane at the same time but if a car has already entered the chicane from the other direction before this car arrives at the start of the junction then it has right of way.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices