Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

darren2001

Apr 11

darren2001 says:

Buying 1st Bike

Hi Everyone

I appreciate that these questions get asked a lot on here and so I apologise in advance.

I passed my Direct Access Test back in November 2009 and have yet to buy my first bike, mainly due to not knowing what I want and prices etc, but I really don't want to go another Summer without a bike.

Anyhow - I would like to knwo your thoughts on my thoughts on what first bike at the minute I am struggling to decide between

1 - Suzuki SV 650 2005 onwards ish

2 - Kawa ER-6 - again 2005 onwards ish

3 - Honda CBR 600 - (split headlight like the look better) 

The first two would be quite a bit cheaper to insure for me (29yrs old) and also most likely for my budget (3k) would be newer and or lower millage. But the CBR is a more sporty looking bike in my opinion. I can see teh pros and cons of each and really cant decide.

Any help or alternatives welcome.

Thanks In Advance.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (01 April 2011 13:06)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
triumphrider600

Feb 09

go for

the SV. Plenty sporty enough for a 1st bike. Handles very well and a genuine 130 mph.

When you've riden for a year or two go for something a bit bigger or more powerful.

Had an SV a few years back to commute on, good fun, adictive sound.

Welcome to the forum.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
Neilrawlins1

Mar 11

Neilrawlins1 says:

Hello buddy my best m8 just passed his direct access and he had the same thing as you but he is 22. he rid the ER6, SV, CBR and 675

He went for the SV he said i liked the low down torque and user friendlyness the bike had, aswell as the mods he can get for it and price to pick one up.

He found the ER6 very much the same with power ect but said it was not sporty enough, and that from a friend of ours we know that its a nightmare to upgrade and do anything with.

Finaly the cbr was massivly expensive on insurence and he said that it was a lot for him to handle as a first bike. He also said that it was very uncomfortable after a bit.

finaly he said the 675 was to laid down for him (what eva that means?) and that the insurence and prices were more than the other bikes.

hope this helps

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

My CBR 600

I have an older '99 fx CBR600.

I did my DAS course and passed a couple of months ago. I got this bike and I am 21 my insurance TPFT is £870 for the year. So was quite expensive but I like the bike.
I find it handles nicely it is quite low (mine had to be lowered a bit more for my sort-ness). It has plenty of power especially when you hit above 3,000 rpm it will take you for surprise if your not careful. It does look sporty and nice but my insurance is a lot 'cause I am 21.
Test ride them is the best thing to do.

AJ

Reply to this Topic
darren2001

Apr 11

darren2001 says:

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I've decided to go for the SV. got one today!!

Only 2300 miles on the clock, 55 reg and fully faired picked it up for £2800 from a dealer plus kit (lid, jacket and gloves)

Insurance coming in at £170

Can't wait for next weekend to pick it up now. Although bit nervous as not ridden since Nov 09, thinking about booking a couple of lesssons to get back in the swing ???

Thanks Agian for all the help and advice

Reply to this Topic
pauldicken

Jun 09

pauldicken says:

Buying 1st bike

Hi Darren,

Like you, I'd appreciate advice on buying my first bike.

I want something that's comfortable for long rides (150 miles) for the taller (6'3'') & over 40 rider. £5k is burning a hole in my pocket.

I'd thought of the Honda Varadero or Suzuki V Storm. Would like BMW or Triumph but too expensive for first bike.

All advice appreciated.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Hi Paul

If you don't get many replies to your question on this thread mate, try posting it separately. Here's my (V. Humble!) opinion, the Varadero is quite an underrated bike but as with the V-Strom large twins can become a little thirsty at times, these days though you've gotta try hard to find a really crap bike! My thoughts tend towards a BMW F800 from the requirements you're listing, you should be able to find a low milage second hand one within your price range and by all accounts it's a belter of a bike. Best thing though is try as many as you fancy (or that you can get to test ride!). Happy shopping, and even happier riding!

Reply to this Topic
Ben28Ely

Mar 11

Ben28Ely says:

Insurance

Insurance is about doing your homework on it, I'm 21 and I ride an RSV1000 and I pay £500 fully comp. So don't let insurance rule your head!! Best of luck

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices