Skip to content

Discuss This Jerez MotoGP: Stoner takes pole despite late crash MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Jerez MotoGP: Stoner takes pole despite late crash

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Jerez MotoGP: Stoner takes pole despite late crash

Repsol Honda rider Casey Stoner has continued his dominance of the 2011 MotoGP season with pole position at Jerez. The Aussie took pole position within the last moments of the session before dropping his bike in the gravel at turn one. Team-mate Dani Pedrosa was unable to better Stoner's time despite several very close laps at the end of the session. Pedrosa will start...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (02 April 2011 14:13)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
slit

Mar 11

slit says:

sean

i did not hear the commentators, however, I did read the comments both from VR and ducati team manager, and they both say the bike he crashed was the first choice, did you not hear that or do you trust more the comments from the commentators? As I said before, for whatever reason the bike seems to having being underperforming at losail and jerez so far, don't ask me technically why, but the reason I state that is because based on the info I can gather

- NH both at losail and at jerez so far, is SENSIBLY slower than last year.

- at losail and at jerez, VR has so far been ahead of NH with very similar margins CS had in 2010 over NH, hence why I think VR is riding it just as well (forgetting the shoulder injury which of course does not count because VR is a pussy and also because it’s been said too many a time is boring, hence must not be used in discussions)

- On top of that, people keep telling you that albeit CS did nail a single QUICK 1.55.5 at losail during race, he crashed apparently the lap right after that, so could it be CS was not being able to recognize the limit of the bike and was pushing it beyond that, showing also poor race craft as people keep repeating here over and over?

- stoner 'first year' was racing a bike which was consistently 10/15km faster in the straights, which is mostly where, as far as I remember, all his over taking of VR took place, AND, stoner had the bridgestones (don't you guys always complain VR was a pain in the ass for making so much noise to have the bridgestones for 2008?)

- the 'winning' bike VR is apparently on, qualified CS 4th overall last year, and won 3 races at the end of the year should I add in the period DP was out, VR recovering, JL confortably in the lead (I must say though that CS to me won those three races fair and square, regardless of everybody else's conditions)? And should I add also after CS had been with Ducati for already three yrs and after having ridden the 2010 version for already more than half the season, and NH too was swhoing consistent improvement towards the end of the season?

- I don't know what technical changes Ducati may have made over the winter, surely at least the engine has had modifications, as they were deciding between the screamer and the big bang. Don't know about the chassis though. Also, I personally believe that it would have been suicidal for Ducati not to modify the 2010 bike, so Mr Clever27 who says why are they so stupid not to use the settings of 2010, do you  realize that they do have the settings of last year for THOSE TWO CIRCUITS they've reaced on so far, yet the bike itself may not be 2010's? Why don't they use the 2010 settings then? They probably are cheking them, but the bike is in all likelyhood different, and the 2010 bike won at other circuits.

Reply to this Topic
slit

Mar 11

slit says:

continued

I din't mean to scream in the previous post lol, just something wrong with formatting!

So the above points are the reasons why I think VR is proving so far he can ride the duke like CS, and why I think 12th, although a mistake of VR to crash the first bike, is not just a matter of the rider (as if CS would surely have done sooo much better, pole or second maybe with that bike, is that what you think?). Also, as much as I’ve got to deal that today VR is 12th, you’ve got to deal with the fact that this time last year CS had 0 points. So my point being, from what I see and know, I belive the duke as it is can be ridden to the highest level only by CS, VR, I also add JL, not sure though about DP. The difference VR will make is that from 10, to 4, to 3 wins only, the progress will be reverse, with ‘average’ bikers too finally able to ride it competitively.

Reply to this Topic
slit

Mar 11

slit says:

correction

sensibly=considerably

Reply to this Topic
Frankyspain

Jun 09

Frankyspain says:

jerez is buzzing

What a following the Spanish give. Amazing_)(*&^

Reply to this Topic
Rumple

Sep 09

Rumple says:

@seanfoley

“I'm not happy about the performance. I don't want to make a lot of excuses; the bike-rider combination wasn't really good today''. The bike is shite and the rider is injured. The end.

Reply to this Topic
Rumple

Sep 09

Rumple says:

No excuses Sean. Rossi has been right up there with RDP until the crash. If the bike was good, RDP (who is a ****** legend) and him and NH would be dicing for pole. His injury affects him in the braking zones from lap one and then may affect his endurance as a result (it's not an endurance issue alone). I am no expert but I am sitting next to my brother-in-law who is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon who spends a large proportion of his time rebuilding us bikers when we end up in a hedge. Irrespective of bike, Stoner is fast and I love watching him, Lorenzo is fast, Pedrosa is fast, Spies and Simoncelli are fast, sod it, they are ALL fast. Rossi is a fast and talented rider and has 9 world championships to his name. If he isn't going fast, THERE MUST BE A REASON OR TWO. Just accept it. By the way Suzuki is a proven winner in GP racing. What's your point?

Reply to this Topic
thezed111

Feb 11

thezed111 says:

sometimes its not always the change in bike but the crash that unsettles a rider, no matter how good they are,  it may take a session to get back up to speed, like dovi, not saying that is the reason, but it is a factor to consider aswell, looking at it as a nuetral

Reply to this Topic
Rumple

Sep 09

Rumple says:

Sean

He has been right up there with and beyond the talented RDP since testing started earlier this year not just the 20 mins before he ended up in the gravel, and finished top Ducati last race. "Like i said, the bike is a proven winner and front runner." So was Suzuki once and Honda and Kawasaki. The Ducati boys are all on a completely new bike in 2011. All bets are off when the new season starts. The 2011 Yamaha is not as competitive as the 2008/9 M1, yet. The 2010 Honda (read Braun) in F1 was a dog compared to the championship winning Braun of 2009. Even with Schumacher and Rosberg at the wheel! Rossi has continually said the shoulder is hampering his riding style but he hopes to be fully fit by May ish. No excuses, just reasons. It's not about Stoner or Lorenzo or Fanboys or who hates or likes people they have never met. It is that Rossi is probably one of the greatest motorcycle riders in the history of the sport and is so fast, neither you or I can understand it. So if he is struggling around the middle of the grid there has to be reasons. No excuses.

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Reading Hayden's interview.

After quaiifying today on crash.net sums up Ducati's day at the office today and he can't be more honest with what he said there.

Reply to this Topic
Rumple

Sep 09

Rumple says:

ps. meant Mercedes not Honda in F1 comment!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices