Skip to content

Ask an Expert chatter. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > chatter.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

daniellynchkawasakininja

Apr 11

chatter.

i was just wondering wat chatter is because at donington at wsb leon haslam was complaning of chatter in race 1 wat is it?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 April 2011 11:54)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

The chatter most top level racers are on about is nothing to do with warped discs or loose head bearings like the average rider would 'think' was chatter..........

Every moving, rotating or vibrating part on a motorcycle produces a rythmic frequency..........'think of rubing a the top of a wine glass...It starts to vibrate which gives the noise it produces'..

Now everything is fine most of the time, because all the things that produce these frequencies do so at different levels......... The problem they get (as far as I can make out) is when a couple of these things, whether it be the wheels, the crank, the discs etc etc, start to produce the frequency on the same levels.  They then combine to make a bigger frequency that can then start to be felt whist hard on the brakes, or leant over in the corner through the suspension. This in turn can unsettle the bike, and not give the feel or consistency the rider wants..... It can get so bad at some points that it can cause a crash by unsettling the bike so much.

So once a rider complains of that. The crew then have to find out what parts are causing those frequencies to coincide with each other........... And that, is why sometimes it is so hard to get rid of.

Hope that helps, cause I just half fried my brain trying to keep it as simple as I could. :blink:

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

frying tonight

Well, the end result made perfect sense to me, so I hope you think it was worth the effort...:smile

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

:lol::lol:

I think I was right....... If not, blame that Parish bloke!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices