Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Are 1000cc sports bikes still relevant? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Are 1000cc sports bikes still relevant?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Are 1000cc sports bikes still relevant?

The new Suzuki GSX-R750 and Ducati 848 Evo have all the cubes you'll ever need on the road or track, so do we still need 1000cc sports bikes? We test the two bikes against a Honda Fireblade on road and track to find out.  brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (07 April 2011 16:59)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Gstan

Nov 10

Gstan says:

Very good video, well done mcn, but saying the 750 doesnt have enough torque is only because your riding against a v twin and a 1000, compare the 750 to a 600, like a lot of people will, and its got bags of torque and usability

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Of course we need litre bikes, what on earth would a biker with a small willy and a 'look at me on my litre bike' mentality do without them?!

Why peeps need a bike with such a powerful engine on the road is beyond me............................ but I think I'll stick with my ZZR 1400 thanks! lol

Seriously though, why not have litre bikes, choice is good and not everyone likes the same thing.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

build quality

waste of test really, we buy what we want to buy, wether it be 600 or 1000, i certainly dont need a road test ad to convince me, riding the bikes yourself tells you yes or no, prices now are coming down but so is the build quality, eg suzuki now finishing is poor, after 6 months no good at all. worked at suzuki dealer for years and its a no no from me.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

In the Eighties 1000 s were 100 BHP Monsters With plastic frames , brakes and tyres. Today they are totally Awesome, most car drivers havn't got a clue nor probably care and that suits me fine as for Gixercarl owning every R1 and Gixer Thou and 750 model , Well done. Think you missed about a million other good bikes though. including the amazing BMW S1000R According to the entire world, how is the weather on your Planet???

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

I am in my 60s and have a collection of bikes , combinations, cruisers , retro, and my late model Fireblade . I know which one I choose for my everyday bike - my Blade , I have been riding for 46 years and it"s in my top 3 bikes I have owned  . Being over six foot tall most smaller bikes feel like 250s , and I tried a R1 which was nice , but  way too small . One  other comment - why all the advertising on here ? M.C.N.

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Besides the bikes I liked the vid, it was a bit choppy in places but I love the onboard camera shots - more like this please.

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

Snev

I see that dick head GIXERTALKSSHITOUTOFHISASSCARL is still talking bollocks!

,. did you know that the BMWS1000RR is still the bike to beat,  

what a knob!

Reply to this Topic
Woodystock

Jul 09

Woodystock says:

I quite didn´t catch the final answer (I´m not British and although I study the language, I still have problems sometimes). So did the 848 beat the Blade or not? Is it better and it´s worth buying a litre bike only for track days? Advice please, I couldn´t understand him. Thanks

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

The 848 beat the 750, but only just...

The Blade beat them both, easily...

On track, or on road - it doesn't matter which - the 1000cc is better, but you pay for it at the dealer and on insurance, tyres, brakes etc.

IMHO hard-core bikes with smaller engines, especially the Daytona 675, can be more exciting, maybe even too exciting - more suitable for track days, but harder to live with day to day on the road.  For track days do you want to go fast, because you have the fastest super bike, or go fast by learning how to ride? 

Thankfully, there is still a choice, so we can all be happy!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices