Skip to content

Ask an Expert Adding riders to my insurance Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Adding riders to my insurance

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

supaste

Aug 10

supaste says:

Adding riders to my insurance

If I create an insurance policy is it legal to add riders to my policy even if there is a chance that they may never actually ride my bike?

I want to add a friend to my policy who may never  ride my bike except for possibly testing it around the block after maintenance.  The main reason I want to do this is because he is a dramatically lower risk rider than myself - he is older and has held his licence for many years where as I am young and have held my licence for less than a year.

The main reason I wanted to do this was because I realised that adding an experienced rider to my policy dramatically reduces the price of the insurance. The point I'm getting at is does the person I am adding to the policy have to have some intention of riding the bike throughout the period it's insured?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 April 2011 12:14)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Yes,

you can put your mate on the insurance as a named rider if you wish - he doesn't need to ride it.

Insurers look at it from the point of view that a named rider will only be using it part of the time anyway,  whereas the policyholder will have full-time use of it.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
supaste

Aug 10

supaste says:

OK thanks,

I wasn't sure if it bore some sort of similarity to fronting.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Additional Riders

You can add another rider to the policy and it will not matter whether they ride your bike or not.  (The insurance company will be happy to take your money either way!)  However, you will not achieve what you are looking for.  Insurance is a game of risk asessment and, as it is your policy and you are the main rider, the premium will asessed on you.  Adding you mate will INCREASE the costs of your policy - not by much; probably just an admin fee as he is less of a risk than you.  Adding more experienced riders to your policy does not reduce your insurance costs. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices