You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Tyre Wear

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Davidsr

Apr 11

Davidsr says:

Tyre Wear

I have BT057’s (120x78 58W) on my 2010 Honda CBF1000GT.  Almost 4000 miles since new and the front seems to be wearing faster than the rear.  (Front 2mm remaining, Rear almost 4mm)  The tyre pressures are checked frequently as the bike is used almost daily for commuting to work and riding out on occasional weekends.  I am not into heavy breaking and have not had this on previous bikes, e.g. ST Sprint 1050.  What might cause this?  May opt for BT023’s next.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 April 2011 21:46)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyre

It`s a tyre problem,my cbf1000 has the original BT57 on and it`s wearing too quick just off centre both sides,i hope the BT023`s will be better.Also i hope our road surfaces will be better as well.Also welcome.:smile

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyres

There are a few posts up on tyre wear at the moment.  I personally have never experienced a front tyre that wears out before a rear, although I have been told that it does happen for some bikes/riders.  As Jaffa points out, you have not stated why the tyre needs replcing.  However, if you want more longevity try a sports-touring tyre.  The BT023's on my VFR are well over 4,000 miles old, have pleanty of tread left and have yet to show any signs of squaring off. 

Reply to this Topic
Davidsr

Apr 11

Davidsr says:

Tyre Wear

Thanks Jaffa and MarcusMarsh.  I will only replace when near minimum legal tread but as in three weeks I am off to Scottish Highlands for a weeks touring, probably 1800 miles including route up/back from Bristol, I may now need to replace front before I go rather than replace both when I get back. Perhaps it is a CBF1000 tyre problem only becuase the similar tyres on my Sprint lasted many more miles on the front. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices