Skip to content

Discuss This Is the new Honda CBR250R better than a 1982 Super Dream? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Is the new Honda CBR250R better than a 1982 Super Dream?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Is the new Honda CBR250R better than a 1982 Super Dream?

A glance at the specs of Honda’s new CBR250R and the Kawasaki Ninja 250R could leave you wondering exactly what manufacturers have been doing for the last 30 years. Like the Ninja 250R, Kawasaki’s 1988 GPX250R was a steel framed four-stroke eight-valve parallel twin. It was even referred to on MCN’s front page as the 250 Ninja, after its bigger brothers...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 April 2011 17:02)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mvx250f

Oct 05

mvx250f says:

Super Dream

Perhaps a better bike to compare the CBR250R with is the CBX250RS or CB250RS? Both singles and lighter than a 250N.

However the SuperDream was still considered, after 30 years to be used as a comparison in this article which shows what a good bike it is. I still occasionally ride my own 250N which I bought in 1981 and still find it good for a relaxed ride around the country lanes.

But when you compare the CBR250R with other 250s from the past it is a backward step. Surely an updated CBR250RR would be the way to go? Or another VT250/VTR250?

Smaller bike market have been seriously neglected for several years which is why grey import 250s/400s in goor order command high prices. Its often cheaper to buy 600s or 750s!

I really wanted to be able to buy a new bike again but after my test ride on the CBR250R its just not as good as the older bikes I have. So if someone from Honda reads this please bring over the CB400 Bol d'Or Vtec as I'd buy one of those.

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

Old and simply better

Newer isn't always better...the Superdream is legendary for being small engined and sized for everyone..the new CBR is tiny...i'm 5'6" and its like a kids toy...how it weighs so much is beyond me. Any of the old 250's have character..even the VT250F would be my choice over the newer stuff. Lets face it the new licence laws are a Euro farce to deter bikers...i'm sure someone will buy the 250's but anyone sensible will buy the old ones and cherish it. Why on earth did MCN even bother with a 100mph test....the racket must have been deafening for the little rider....plus who cares if they do 100mph when a 2 stroke 125 will just drive by with ease and having a heap more fun.

Reply to this Topic
superpike

Dec 08

superpike says:

2 STROKES RULE!!!

2 strikes are friggin Mega dude!! I'm looking at building a Replica of the 2000 RGV500 with my GSXR600K4/RGV250/RG500/RSV1000 Parts. People should look at all the current stars who have started out on them and who hasn't. I bet mostly ALL the guys up top are former 2smoke riders ;)

Reply to this Topic
wright1200

Dec 10

wright1200 says:

Honda - have they spent the last 30 Years seating back?

Why compare a 250 Super Dream against the new RR 250 contenders........Is this your way of making out Honda are any good these days?

If you are going to do such a comparison, at least use the Honda VT250F from 1982.

It's a much better bike and with new technologies available today to all manufactures, such as radial tyres the VT250F would wipe the floor with what Honda are currently producing in the 250 class.

No surprises really when you look at their current line-up.

So what is Honda doing, apart from seating back, selling overpricing uninspiring motorcycles, while the European Bike Manufactures are taking over, producing far better machines!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices