You are in... Forums > General > General > HELP 33bhp restriction

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

karlos1

May 10

karlos1 says:

HELP 33bhp restriction

I am looking to do my test within the next few weeks, I have done my theory I just need my mod1 and mod2. As Im only 17 I will need to restrict my next bike to 33bhp, I know somebody who has a Yamaha FZR 600 for sale but he said its been chipped, I have been told It may not be restrict able, does anybody know if it can be restricted or not? Any help will be much appreciated, thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 April 2011 13:01)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Be careful, check with insurer

Would assume chipped means he's fitted aftermarket exhaust and remapped engine to suit. Any mods seem to attract aditional premium, so unless you're minted stay well away.

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Restrictor

Hi mate, my Bandit has an aftermarket exhaust and was then fitted with a 33bhp restrictor. The certificate i got from the dealer says it only produces 33bhp, but you'd think the exhaust would add 2-3 more horses?

Fi international provide kits to go in the Inlet manifold, exhaust, carb restrictors or throttle restrictions so im sure there is someway on doing it.

Have you spoke to a dealer or mechanic about it?

Reply to this Topic
scottscott80

Jan 11

scottscott80 says:

Ofcourse he's minted! He's 17 and about to buy (or more like be bought) his first big bike so I doubt the aftermarket mods and premium will come into consideration. Also I don't see how mods would effect a 33bhp restriction, should be fine!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

chipped FZR

personally I'd leave it alone, unless you know what that chip was fitted for (power / torque increase? Or simply there to smooth out glitchy low-speed fuelling?).

As shuggie says, modifications can have insurance implications (extra premiums, or indeed, refusal to insure the bike altogether).

Also, the technical implications (chipping to improve performance combined with the 33bhp restriction) may cause problems - bear in mind also there is a power-to-weight ratio (0.16kW/kg), and you may find problems in that aspect too.

Find a decent standard bike (or one which comes with all the standard parts that have been changed (eg exhaust)), get a 33bhp restrictor from fleabay etc, and get it dyno  checked.

PS, 33bhp is a crankshaft output, approx 25-27bhp at the back wheel.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

At the risk

Of making myself look stupid (regular habit anyway!!) I'm a little doubful that the bike in question can be "chipped", as far as I was aware doing this was to alter the fuelling map and ignition timing, as the bike mentioned doesn't have fuel injection (it's got 'carbs!) I'm wondering if somone's either trying to big up their machine or means a dynojet kit + exhaust has been fitted? Could just be me being thick here though!

Reply to this Topic
karlos1

May 10

karlos1 says:

Thanks

For all your reply's Im still unsure what to do so I will stick to trying to find a standard bike, do you guys have any suggestions on a first bike? and when i say bike i dont want somebody moaning about what cc, 400cc or more... :) (Obv 33bhp restriction will be added to it) cheers lads

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Karlos...

my wife passed her theory test (for a car), first time 10 years ago.....never did go in for the practical.....First job pass the Mod I and 2, then start looking. Whatever you get you will be crucified by the Insurance at 17/ 18.

Reply to this Topic
karlos1

May 10

karlos1 says:

I WILL deffo be doing the practical, and i need to start looking for one now so i can sell mine to get cash to buy one for when i pass, and insurance is good, allot cheaper than car

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

that's...

the spirit.Good luck to you.

Reply to this Topic
firebirdharris

Aug 09

Bit slow

Took my time seeing this.

Personally i'd leave a modified bike alone, you simply don't know what a modification will do once a restrictor is fitted.
As for bike choices. I ride a 33bhp restricted kwak gpz500s (ex500 in USA and on wiki). It's dirt cheap to buy, plenty of spares around and a reasonably sensible, easy to ride first bike (neutral riding postion). Plus once my restrictor comes off in September i'll be getting around 55bhp. That said personally the 33bhp is fine for the majority of things. It's only a two pot engine but it's a good first bike (like any jap 500 realy).

Edit: btw cost about £2000 for the bike, restrictor and first insurance (tpft) from a dealer but you can buy a good one privately for about 1100 and you can get the washer sizes to fit in the carbs online (there's no official way of restricting a bike so anything goes really, throttle stops or "blades" (washers) etc, it's just "it cannot produce more than this on a dyno" rule for new riders)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices