Skip to content

Ask an Expert How to wheelie? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > How to wheelie?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JordanMorden

Apr 11

JordanMorden says:

How to wheelie?

How do I wheelie my bike? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 April 2011 20:06)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Why, are you

struggling to "get the front end up"? :wink:

Or are you trying to wheelie your BMX because mummy won't let you have anything bigger?

Reply to this Topic
banditman2010

Jan 11

me too

something ive always wanted to do but think to my self not got the nerve. wish i could wheeeli

Reply to this Topic
Shan Hetty

Jun 08

Shan Hetty says:

Practise+brave pills=mono wheel antics

I did my first wheelie using the roll on-roll off method. A good way of getting used to having the front wheel off the ground(scary at first)

Just pull away,up to maybe 6/7k,ease off the throttle then snap it back on.Will vary from bike to bike how much you need to twist back on but you will soon get the feel of it. After that,clutch wheelies are the best way to have any control.Same idea really. 1st gear,6k,clutch in and while its fully in,rev up to 10/11k then snap it back out,give a helping hand by pulling back as you snap it out,making sure you keep your bars straight as you want the wheel to be in line when it comes back down. Take one sunny sunday,one industrial estate and a whole bag of brave pills and with enough practise practise practise you'll be poppin them in no time

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Ive been tryin to master

wheelies aswell recently, i have no problem getting the wheel up now, its riding it out thats hard, BUT here is what ive learned so far:

I dont like bounching it up or power wheelies in any of their guises, really inconsistent, some times it comes up too quick, sometimes it doesnt come up, ill describe how you do it though, to snap it up on the throttle as said, roll on, snap it shut, as soon as the forks start to come back up, snap the throttle open, the bounce of the forks will help the engine get the wheel off the ground.

However, much better technique is clutching it up, dont worry about your clutch, youll get thousands of wheelies out of a clutch before you burn it out.

I like to do it in second because it is less brutal than first and you can ride it out for longer (what im trying to master), im doing this on a k5 gixxer 6, but for me, i ride along at about 35-40mph with my arse at the back of the seat and my foot covering the rear brake, pull in the clutch, rev the engine to about 10krpm (if you dont give it enough, itll just lurch, if you get it right, it comes up smooth as anything) drop the clutch and keep on the throttle as it comes up, gradually rolling off as it comes up so it doesnt go over the top, then the idea is to control it on the throttle untill you want to come down/run out of revs/want to change gear, this is what im struggling with, then as the wheel is on its way down i accelerate out of the wheelie to smooth the landing out, if you dont it hammers down, if you do you'd hardly have known the wheel was up.

Dont worry about it, its not as brutal when done right as you'd think, the wheel comes up pretty slowly off the clutch, probably takes more than a second to get from the ground to peak, plenty of time to think.

However, id just point out, if your tyres are cold or the ground is wet, you wont get a wheelie, youll get a wheel spin. Wait for a warm dry day.

Reply to this Topic
countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

I ride a mk1 bandit 6 so havent got the power to roll off wheelie. The way I learned was in an empty car park out of harms way.

Probably best to start in 1st gear as speeds will be lower. Bring it up to about 5k and flick the clutch. As you do this open the throttle up a bit and there you go. Hold it there all day! Make sure to cover the rear brake for safety.

I suggest trying with a small amount of throttle first and see what happens. Steadily build it up until you find the perfect amount. After de-restricting my bike after my 2 year probation, I made the mistake of trying it with as much throttle as when it was at 33hp. I nearly binned it! DIdnt do that again! :lol:

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Wheelie Really?

If you have to ask mate. I'd stick to becoming smoother and increasing your understanding of the dynamics of the bike first. Once you have confidence and you aren't second-guessing your decisions, you will be able to wheelie much easier. In fact you'll then want to learn how to not wheelie so much.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Wheelies?

Not any more, but back in the 70's I had a KH250. Constant struggle to keep the front end down. Frisky liitle beast.

Have done one on the Harley, just for the experience, but much harder to do. I think I'll leave it to younger people to play. :smile

Reply to this Topic
pyeo

Aug 02

pyeo says:

Go to wheelie school

See ads in MCN... learn in safety without binning the bike and breaking a leg. That's my plan...

Reply to this Topic
houstanrojas

Aug 11

houstanrojas says:

Re:

Which Bike you wish to use for this purpose and what suits you best? Then think of wheelie :P

Reply to this Topic
houstanrojas

Aug 11

houstanrojas says:

wheelie

i myself dont do wheeli only ride behind friend doin wheelie.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices