You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > 2 Years missing off Licence

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

alleak

Jan 04

alleak says:

2 Years missing off Licence

Beware renewal of your licence if you had a 25Kw restriction on it.

Passed my test in Nov 03, sent my licence to DVLA due to change of address, came back with cat A effective from Nov 05! Only recently noticed this when insurance company asked for confirmation of years riding.

Went into DVLA Northampton, they recognised fault,( I'd photocopied my old licence and pass cetificate). They spoke to Swansea, who said that's when restriction was taken off licence so that's the category date. All paperwork is now on way to Swansea DVLA, will update when I've heard back from them.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 April 2011 17:22)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

DVLA

Errors by the DVLA have been well documented in the press as well as in these forums.  What amazes me is that they make a mistake and refuse to be responsible for it.  There have even been stories of guys that have been riding for many years having to take their test again!  They are the worst kind of Civil Servants in that they wash their hands of any errors they make and it becomes your problem.  In other words, the burden of proof is on you.  A lot of guys, me included, take copies of all documents sent to and receiced from DVLA just in case.   

Good luck with getting it sorted.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tomhamments

Mar 11

tomhamments says:

from my experience...

... i called the dvla one year into my 2 year restriction to enquire as to what i had to do at the end of the 2 years and they said i don't need to even send my license in to be changed as it will just automatically be changed on their database with no physical change needed to the photocard.

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

dvla

Had some trouble with the DVLA several years back with tax discs. Paid for the renewal 2 weeks in advance of expiry. After the 5 working days phoned to get an update. They had no idea what was going on so said they would resend it. Again 5 days up and by this time my old one had expired.

Phoned for a second time and they then admitted to the disc being returned by royal mail for some reason. Instead of informing me or resending it they decided to do nothing.

Long and short of it I got a fixed penalty notice from a guy at 7:30pm (no idea why he was still working) even though they can check I had paid the renewal. DVLA refused to take the blame saying it is not their responsibility to ensure it gets to me. Sorry but if I buy it from them who elses responsibility is it?

Fortunately after several letters to the police including the emails to and from the DVLA stating how despite me paying well in advance they are bastards and are absolved of all responsibility, it was revoked. Thank goodness some people still have common sense.

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

You're lucky.

I had 19 years and my Cat A wiped off my license. Had to retake my test earlier this year. You got off lightly. :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Makes me angry

I had to retake mine 4 years ago. So unfair and very expensive. Makes the insurance companies confused as well.

I find it hard to believe they can continually make the same cock-ups, year after year and nobody is held responsible.

I wonder if it's happened to anyone who works for the DVLA. Love to know how they deal with that scenario.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

DVLA

They took away my test pass a few weeks back. Its useless talking to them they don't give a toss.

sent off for change of address, came back as a provisional.

Inform the insurance company straight away, the DVLA seem to be slightly more inclined to listen to them for longer than 10 seconds.

Thankfully I kept my CBR 125R.

In the meantime, they said use the 125 until its sorted.

A friend of my dad had the same problem, only his company sent off his licence for updating (bus driver) and it came back as moped, tank and tractor licence.

No car, no bike, no bus, 1500 quids worth of training gone. The training company said "Oh no, not another one..."

They do it to most people, get friendly with a training company.

I also knew a kid, who took his CAR test, and got a BIKE licence, no two year restriction. Now rides a ducati 998. (his dads)

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i still have my test certificate so if they do that to me i can show them that and get it sorted. as i will have to send mine off in 3 years time to get up dated and i should get the old 25kw taken off as well as it ran out about 5years ago. as i dont care if i lose my car bit as long my bike is till there

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Thats a good idea, bmwgs.

I wish I had done that.

Theory and mod 1 booked already, on the assumption they don't do anything, like they did for my dads mate.

Insurance company being helpful, which is nice. They said its happened before, so they know what to do.

Its a way of making money.

Although giving someone a licence to ride a bike, when they took a car test is dangerous.

They just said "No, you have a bike licence, there is no record of you doing car test" after he tried to send the licence back.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices