Skip to content

General chris jackson accident 1967 sidecar help needed General

You are in... Forums > General > General > chris jackson accident 1967 sidecar help needed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

daveanddian

Apr 11

daveanddian says:

chris jackson accident 1967 sidecar help needed

can anyone help me, i had a great weekend at brands hatch watching the bsb, and stayed till the end to watch the sidecars. and the next day i got aphonecall from my mum who asked how the day went, and we got into a conversation about her cousin who used to race sidecars in the 60's his name was chris jackson who sadly died in 67 at wimbledon??? racing the side car during a race. my mum has little knowledge of what exactly happened, and has no photos of him, i have been looking all over the internet but cant find much at all, is there anyone out there that could help???????

cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (29 April 2011 23:43)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

Hmmmmm

This is a long shot but could be worth a shot.

Try Terry Rudd of Terry Rud motorcycles, Holbeach, Linc's

He used to race sidecars, not sure of the era bit they ran British engines so given his age I guess it would have been in the 60's

He may not know, although he may know a man who does

Reply to this Topic
daveanddian

Apr 11

daveanddian says:

cheers

i will try that, and fingers x

cherrs

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Chris Jackson Sidecar accident

The accident was on July 20 1967 at Wimbledon. The passenger who died was Chris Jackson. He parted company with the sidecar as they exited the fourth bend, hitting the starting gate head on. I do not know the name of the sidecar driver. I believe the gear box seized & that the engine was a BSA. The engine seizure lead to the passenger being ejected from the outfit and impacting with the gatepost.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
daveanddian

Apr 11

daveanddian says:

thanks

that is all i can seem to find to, and thats it, no photos or anything else on him.

Reply to this Topic
simoncharlie

Jul 11

simoncharlie says:

Chris Jackson

I can help, I was at the meeting.  It was some kind of trial involving six teams of sidecars which made the Plough Lane track impossibly small.  I think it was a normal speedway meeting with a number of special sidecar races... might be wrong.  We used to go to midweek mtgs from Woking to see my hero Olle Nygren.  Can't think we would have gone up for such an oddity which I never saw repeated.  

It was clearly too crowded obviously extremely hazardous. In my view it should have been halted very early on.  There had been a number of crashes, near misses - on the fateful race, whilst I cannot remember all the details, I was sat with my parents in the restaurant opposite the start gate.  What happened was that coming out of the bend approaching the start gate (can't tell you which lap) the bike and side car lost control, Chris was in the car, the bike hurtled towards the start post and Chris hit his head on the gate pole or at least an upright pole near the start.  He lay there surrounded by medics, was the carried away. The race was run again!  They announced his death at the end of the meeting.I was only a 13 yr old child but so moved I wrote a poem called 'Ode to Chris Jackson' - won't embarrass anyone by repeating it but I still have it all these years later.  It made a huge impression on me.
Hope this helps

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices