Skip to content

General Alarms? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Alarms?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Alarms?

Due to some rather young children walking passed my bike in Leeds today while I was putting a cover on it going "Mate people have bolt cutters an all round here" - They were very interested in bike wanting to know about it

As I have never seen them kids and some rather nefarious characters have moved on to the park at the bottom of my road I feel it might be a good time to get another bit of security. ( I already have a huge chain oxford big heavy bastard, Oxford alarm disc lock and its covered and chained to a telegraph pole)

Any suggestions or reviews for decent loud alarms?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (29 April 2011 23:47)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

alarm

A 12 bore shitgun.:smile

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Datatool 3

Ive got, is not bad, but sometimes a bit indecisive on what will set it off and what wont, some times itll go off if your brush it, other times you can take the bike off the sidestand and move it from side to side and it wont go off....

Is fairly loud though, loud enough to wake me anyway, but im so protective of my bikes i would probably be able to hear it free wheeling in my sleep!

I still think a seriously meaty chain and a ground anchor (or something similar in town) is your best line of defence though, not getting through that without an angle grinder!

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Shot gun

I like the shot gun idea very persuasive, though I believe the caravan folk would probably have one each on me.

The oxford alarm disc lock I have is a bit odd, it has times of the month were it will go off for no reason what so ever. It only does sound for 10 seconds at a time then re-arms itself.

Chain I have this one Big heavy fe*ker 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

4 Legs

Get a f8kin big dog. Once you have trained the dog everytime someone touches the bike it will warn you. And kids are well aware they cannot out run a dog. Also if any of the little rugrats touches the bike the dog will smell it.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

alarm & good chain

Here's the 3 suppliers I always recommend

http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/

http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/index.html

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Plus always keep it covered, consider the paging alarm, buy a baseball bat and baldE35 has it right about the dog, a nice doberman should do the trick. CCTV is a good alternative to a dog, even if they are wearing hoodies a camera puts them off.

Oh, and flog that oxford chain and get a proper uncroppable one

Hope the above helps mate,
Joe.

Reply to this Topic
McFly998

May 04

McFly998 says:

forget oxford!

I agree with Joe.  get rid of the oxford chain and get an ALMAX chain.  do a search on youtube for almax and see people bolt cropping through oxfords in a few seconds.  the Almax is uncroppable - watch them wreck their croppers jaws trying.  They're much bigger, thicker, stronger and harder chains.

They cost about the same as a bike alarm.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Alarms

I am not a fan of alarms - they drain batteries, can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins and do little to prevent bikes from being stolen.  I have a preference for physical security in the form of ground anchors and chains.  Tracking devices for bikes have been around for a while now and seem to be getting both cheaper and more functional.  These are worth a look as you would actually stand a chance of getting your pride and joy back in the event that it was nicked. 

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

shotgun...

all the way. You'll get time for killing them,but they won't nick anything else.Not two shot either. Get one of them South african pump action ones. Take no prisoners.In fact a pre-emptive fire strike might be your best option. Get them before they get yours.:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Figured it out.

Whilst drinking a pint I came up with this idea. 

Get my oxford alarm disc lock either ; throw it at them about all its good for or attach it to one of their 'homes'. As it constantly goes off even if I dont touch the bloody thing. Waste of money that piece of junk.

Or just burn the caravans? 

I am leaning towards the shot gun idea and sitting in a rocking chair in dungarees watching over the bike. :laugh: 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices