You are in... Forums > General > General > used bike waranty help

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

used bike waranty help

Bought a 59 reg Stelvio from a small bike dealer a week ago, rode fine on the trip home (90 miles) Got it out yesterday and it had developed a horrid knocking sound from the shaft drive area at low speed.

What will the dealer have to be legally obliged to do, especially as the bike is not safe to ride and the nearest main dealer is 50 miles away.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (02 May 2011 08:37)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Stelvio

More info,is there 2 years warranty with this bike and have you got breakdown cover with it? The main dealer or google should know.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

it does have

2 years warranty, but on trading standards it says the onus is with the dealer and not the manufaturer. BUt it is quite a small dealer and they are not open today.

Ideally we want a full refund as the bike is a touring tool and confidence in it has diminished.I'm just wondering if we could ask for a full refund on the outset as the fault happened within a week of purchase, before any other problems arise.

It's asmashing bike 2 up and extremely comfortable with a lot of pulling power and for this style of bike quite attractive.

Probably should of gone for the BMW model instead now:shock:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

law

I would post your topic in the legal section as well for Andrew Campbell,A.C.I.C.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

It may be something quite basic

gone wrong, I think to start with the dealer is required to remedy the problem if possible as it may not require much fixing, however they may be prepared to exchange the bike for another if you don't feel happy with it, but I don't think trading standards require them to do so, so it would be goodwill. Only if they are unable to fix it or there is a series of problems would you be able to reject it as unfit for purpose. The 100% reliable unbreakable machine hasn't yet been invented, so the critical factor is how quickly it is remedied and at how much inconvenience to yourself, if they want your continued custom. they will do as much as they can! :smile

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi

I believe that you have to allow the dealer the opportunity to put the bike right at the very least before exploring other avenues of recompense.

The two year warranty would suggest that the dealer is / was quite confident in the reliability of the bike in the first place so give them the chance, you never know your fears may just be unfounded, I hope so. 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Warranty

These are generally good bikes so I am sure that it is worth getting sorted.  Look up the Sale of Goods Act; that will let you know what your rights are. 

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Shop

Reply to this Topic

RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Bike Problem

You have to give the shop a chance to fix it and if they try and fail you would be entitled to your money back . If after having it fixed you now think you made the wrong choice , that`s a different kettle of fish .It would be up to the shop whether they would be willing to swap it .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices