You are in... Forums > General > General > What to do...suggestions

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

What to do...suggestions

Am a bit stuck with what to do for my next bike. (YZF r125 at moment).

My requirements are essentially a little nippy, fairly light bike for commuting. However it needs to have enough poke to get out of trouble, handle motorway cruising speed and ok for a wee blast now and again. I am not crazy for the top end speed so nothing too extreme. As have just done the normal test (not DAS) it has to be able to restrict and be functional at 33bhp.

Have about £1800 to spend. Would have more but I don't want to sell my 125 before the new one is present to avoid being bikeless.

Ideally I would like a Versys (anyone...)but they are a bit pricey. Have seen a few bikes but don't think I would get the most out of them for what I use it for. However I don't want a really old pure commuter. I like the semi-faired jobbies, preferably from 2000 onwards. However am not totally adverse to a super moto. Am begining to sound a bit picky here but I seem to enjoy procrastinating and getting something that is right for me.

Have just seen a Fazer, but it seems a bit big, and overkill for what I need.

Have had a look at a GPZ500s which seems pretty good, if not a little small (i'm 6foot), but unfortunately its just sold.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (03 May 2011 22:41)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

bike

Thanks paul for the suggestions, have looked at the SV and they are nice bikes, I was just hoping for something a little smaller for the town.

Have just seen an Aprilla pegaso which looks pretty nice. Only down side is the spoked wheels mean I will not be able to get my almax chain through to secure it to the lamp post. Always something!:mad:

Reply to this Topic
IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

Kawasaki KLE500

Of road style GPZ engine and comfy you should pick a nice one up for your budget. 

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

drz

I had a look at a DRZ and would honestly love one. Down side is the rate at which these are nicked. The spoked wheels again would not permit me to pass the almax chain through them (I chain it to a lamp post). I do have a Xena 18 disc lock but removed the alarm as its far too sensitive, it just goes off near constantly. Then there is the lack of range, but it looks like a great little bike! Plus I don't mind turning up to work soaking! This winter I mis judged how deep a puddle was so didn't really slow down. Ended up with a wave that went over my head...not cool on a freezing glasgow evening.

The KLE500 receives a pretty damming review from MCN and owners. Plus its weak brakes are a no no in the city with the number of people that pull out in front of me as if they have right of way as i'm on a bike.

Reply to this Topic
Mannakin

Sep 10

Mannakin says:

ER6F or SV650S

Either of the two above would be great in my opinion.

I recently swapped my YBR125 for a SV650S. Cost me £1700 to swap ('58 YBR for v.low mileage '06 SV) at a dealer.

Check out the weight of some of the bikes you are looking at. SV=172kg or Bandit=238kg. Thats a difference of 66kg (10st!). I did look at buying a GSX650F ("faired bandit") but just couldn't resist the SV.

The SV with fairing is nice and narrow for filtering and the v-twin is very flexible for instant acceleration. I've only driven the unfaired ER6, but thought that was pretty nice too.

If you go for an SV I can highly recommend a v.cheap mod. You can buy 2 little rubber blocks that extend the mirrors an make it possible to see something other than your elbows!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

sv

I do like the SV and ER6's. They just don't seem to be "me", but you never know, if I find a bargain will take one.

The £1800 I have to spend is only temporary to cover me whilst I sell the 125. Am hoping to get ~£2200-£2400 for it. This should cover the new bike, restrict it and transport it. Have no great urgency so am continuing to search about as the 125 is fine for the city but lacks a bit for the weekend jaunts. It is still insured up until June so hope to have my new bike around that time to transfer to a new policy with my ncb and not have to pay a fee ("fine) to switch bikes.

Am liking the look of the Aprilla pegaso at the moment. Anyone have one?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Chains and DRZs

A big chain will go through - i use a massive squire chain and as long as you pick the right gap it went through without issue. I used a tailpack on the pillion seat to hold the chain.

Nicking - mostly a kids problem really. They're not valuable bikes. A big chain and an alarm will do the job - I never had any problems and never chained it up at work, just alarmed it. It is a hospital so it anyone did try to move it and the alarm went off they'd have a lot of attention and the security guys on them fairly sharpish.

The range is an issue and I'd budget for a bigger tank.

Is an old duke potentially a winner if you like that kind of insanity? I once saw a sweet duke 2 for £1700... I'd JUST bought another bike so couldn't afford to swap but yeh... sexy stuff.

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

chain

I have recently purchased the Almax 4 chain and it is huge, with quite long links. Just don't want to get a bike and find I have nothing to chain it too.

I do like the super moto ideas...would be great going to work on it. I enjoy my ride to and from work. I think with a Duke or similar I would even look forward to going to work, they just don't seem the most practical.

Reply to this Topic
evlcatnw

Nov 05

evlcatnw says:

got to be

an ER5... lovely to ride, handles well and deals with traffic perfectly and very forgiving when u got a muppet like me riding one... i drop bikes for fun and if i can pick one up so can you lol... im saving up for one so i can let the security guards at work have something to dribble at all day instead of  us women in uniforms ;-)

Reply to this Topic
Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

I'd

advise you sell the 125 and put the money together. Otherwise, if you're anything like me, when you do sell, you'll look at what you could have with the extra cash, and sell the bigger bike you just bought.

I'd get a bigger restricted bike, rather than a 250, if yer goin on motorways. 250's can get blown about a bit.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Practical

Well I'd not rule out spoked wheels at all - just take the chain with you and see if it'll go through.

You can also shove panniers and a tailpack onto the DRZ as well as sitting the bag for the chain on the seat - as you can with most supermotos.

Practicality doesn't improve on a bike that much until you hit tourer territory and get panniers and so on, at which point you sacrifice the manoeuvrability of a bike in traffic. It's only tank size and big arses getting sore on small seats that holds supermotos back.

I bang on about this category as they're light and therefore make the most of the 33bhp restriction.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices