Skip to content

Discuss This BBC labels biking more dangerous than hang-gliding General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > BBC labels biking more dangerous than hang-gliding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

BBC labels biking more dangerous than hang-gliding

A quiz on the BBC's website appears to suggest motorcycling is twice as dangerous as hang-gliding and more than three times as risky as scuba diving. But the figures have been arrived at by comparing a single occasion of those activities to the equivalent of eight motorcycle journeys. The risk of motorcycling has also been exaggerated by using old accident data. The...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (06 May 2011 11:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Irrelevant

So f****ing what? It's not the first and certainly won't be the last time biking has been misreported.

Reply to this Topic
hardrock

Dec 04

hardrock says:

Ranking Con

If Professor Spiegelhalter was not going to use this data as a ranking measure, then why do the comparison as numbers in the first place. You can bet if Cambridge university are involved in any statistics, then this information is going to be used as a loading measure for insurance calculations.

As not that many do rock climbing or hang gliding compared to motorcycling there is little money in the premiums. However, if motorcycle premiums are loaded up supported by some nebulous crap survey then all the insurance companies win. Yet another money grabbing scam perpetrated by theiving scumbag insurers.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Bollix

Lets have a study to see what the percentage of hang gliding crashes result in serious injury or fatality then compare that with the percentage for bike crashes

I've had more than 20 bike crashes and never had more than a graze and a bit of concussion.

As the old saying goes, there's lies, damned lies and statistics.

Reply to this Topic
rdo350

Feb 09

rdo350 says:

Bikes not just a means of transport..

Why shouldn't a fantastic, fun, demanding, exhilarating pastime such as biking be more dangerous than something else such as rock climbing ? 

We could spend our lives knitting I suppose - that's safe.   (no offence to knitters intended)

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

As a biker and a scuba diver I think both are completely safe if the rules are obeyed. I have never took a chance when diving and never had a problem. Most divers won't risk anything because if it goes wrong your f**ked.

I don't ride with the same care, very few bikers do if any. We don't buy blades and gixers to keep under 60 mph. We all take chances riding a little too fast and get away with it most of the time. I like the danger and speed of biking thats why I do it while scuba diving is to relax. Any activity is only as dangerous as the person doing it, a motorcycle never killed anyone and never will.

Reply to this Topic
tockie

Aug 10

tockie says:

Who gives a flying fuk what Prof David Wankhammer thinks. Memo to the prof, don't draw attention to yourself, keep your head down and with a bit of luck nobody will say why are we paying this cunt so much and what do him and his team actually do. 

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

lmao!

I've had more than 20 bike crashes and never had more than a graze and a bit of concussion.

I think you may need to find another past time mate, cos you sure as hell can't ride a bike! lol!!

I've been riding for 26 years and have never had an accident, and no, I don't ride slowly either.

Reply to this Topic
Kescheng

May 06

Kescheng says:

PC Bullshit

Firstly - who gives a shit? Secondly it's hardly surprising. If you go diving, everything you do is geared towards keeping you safe - same with hang gliding. With riding everything is geared to generally make you go faster. Yes we have leathers with armour and cool boots etc. but the fact is we hop on a bike and hurtle down roads at speeds designed for lift off on a jumbo. That's why we love it and why regardless of the gear we wear getting it wrong is often serious. What we don't want is bearded chinless left wing PC liberal rights activist professors whispering sweet nothings into the ever receptive lug holes of the government. The health and safety Nazi's love this sort of shite so that they can bring in ever more restrictive rules to 'help,' us live better lives. I wish Professor Numb-nuts would just F.O.A.D.

Reply to this Topic
mattyamaha

May 10

mattyamaha says:

everyone against bikers

every1 says motorcycling  is dangerous  YES it is   if you get a bike  that you cannot handle or you  just ignore any warnings    to compair it to hobbies  such as rock climbing  and para gliding    is just stupid   shouldnt it be track days  and not commuting ??     BBC  stop trying to brainwash people out of riding motorcycles  as they are fun and  alot better than driving  on a nice day  

Reply to this Topic
YORKSHIRE1003

Apr 11

What is Points Of Views number?

I've been riding 5 years and the only accident I have been involved in was because a woman in a Merc pulled out (of a private nursery) without looking. It was probably Prof David Wankhammers wife. BIKES ARE NOT DANGEROUS! IT'S THE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T BLOODY DRIVE THAT ARE DANGEROUS!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices