Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies backs Yamaha to close Honda advantage MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies backs Yamaha to close Honda advantage

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies backs Yamaha to close Honda advantage

Ben Spies is confident Yamaha can improve its factory YZR-M1 machine and bridge the gap to Japanese rivals Honda. Although Spanish team-mate Jorge Lorenzo is currently leading the 2011 world championship rankings, Honda's factory RC212V has won two out of the opening three races in comfortable fashion. Lorenzo hasn't yet finished lower than second but in Qatar he was beaten by Casey...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 May 2011 12:02)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Faster1

Aug 09

Faster1 says:

hate to say it,,

,, but it's not as close as Ben thinks... On dry fast tracks, the Honda (mostly because of the motor) is MUCH faster. That's been true since the second part of last season. The Yamaha is in serious need of some horsepower. If not, Lorenzo will need the aid of a few more wet races and a few choice DNF's from team Repsol to retain the nuymber one plate.

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Agility is the key word.

Something which the M1 has over the Honda many may not agree with me but the six engine rule has slowed the Yamahas down IMO.

Reply to this Topic
hough

May 11

hough says:

Faster1

I'm sure Ben will be very saddened to hear this news that the bike he rides and knows intimately is not as near the Hondas that he races against and also knows quite well as he thinks. Have you e- mailed him this info or are you just hoping he checks out many web warrior posts on the off chance?

Reply to this Topic
SV659Nut

Mar 09

SV659Nut says:

Not Slow...

The Yamaha's aren't really too slow. Their riders are too fat.

Check out this... New Video

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Yamaha

Now that Rossi and Burgess have gone Yamaha aren't going anywhere but backwards!!!!!!!! The way things are Lorenzo may win the odd race but I would give Spies chances on a scale of 1 to 10.........0

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

its the closest its been in years

The hondas have started the year strongly thats for sure but lets not make out the the Yamahas are massively behind. Lorenzo is leading the championship and has been at the sharp end in every round.

Sure there are things to improve which will give the bike better traction and afew more ponies would go amiss but its about the overall package not peak horsepower that makes a bike a winner.

When Rossi first when to Yamahaand was down on horsepower he and burgess geared the bike to accelerate faster out of the corners to compliment its sweet handling and the hondas etc couldnt catch him before the end of the straights despite being faster. This sort of thing wont work at every track but will make it into a more competitive season with the hondas being faster but the Yamahas still being thebest handling package out there.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

so impressed

with u faster1.How do you know so much more than Mr Spies.
I seem to remember you know more about MotoGp that some of its riders as well!
Maybe u should change your job and help these guys!
NOB.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The Yamaha doesn't look slow to me

Not on the back of Estoril. But Lorenzo's 'problem' if it can be called that was he was not as strong on the anchors as usual. The talk seems to be of the Yamaha just lacking a little rear grip which makes all the difference in terms of acceleration and top speed. Although again that didn't seem especially evident to me at Estoril - well not with Lorenzo at the bars.

Pedrosa just rode a better race and had more tyre at the finish. Where I have to question Spies though is in factory reaction time. Well with the motor anyway. Six engines doesn't give you that much development scope. It's only the clutch that can be altered.

The M1 and RCV look pretty damn even to me. Both are very poised with the Honda having just a smidgeon more motor perhaps.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

CIRCUITS

it will have alot to do with the circuits too...

The yam as pointed out by Elbowz is agile...the honda has straight line clout...and is agile to

But on tight twisty tracks the bikes are alot more even than on a track with along straight...

I.E  Silverstone is renowned for been fast so the Honda's should have the advantage there..!!

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

The next circuit

Which is Le Mans is where the Yamaha goes well having won there on the last three visits hopefully that run continues next weekend.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle