Skip to content

Riding & events Riding skills: How to get on a motorcycle Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > Riding skills: How to get on a motorcycle

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Riding skills: How to get on a motorcycle

Failure to mount a motorcycle properly can lead to poor forward vision and throttle control, and it’s a growing problem among predominantly slender, female new riders. Deterred by the complexity of explaining this key task adequately, magazines and instructors have shied away from it for years. So we’re incredibly thankful to American training outfit Motorcycle Riding Concepts who’ve managed to compress...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (06 May 2011 14:29)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Mounting from right

I've always got on it  from the left.  It's leaning to the left, so I want to be on the side of the lean.  If for some reason the side-stand should give (whether because of a roll forward, it sinks into the ground unexpectedly, whatever), you'll be on the correct side to catch it.  If you mount from the right and it dips or gives, down it'll go, you can't catch you, and will end up on top of it.

Same with getting off - you surely want to make sure it's not going to fall, but being on the same side as it's leaning.  Again - if it starts to fall for some reason you can catch it on the left.  Off on the right, and you'll either have to watch it go down, or fall over with it.

This applies doubly to the "predominantly slender, female new riders"... I was hoping to see some pictures to illustrate the point, instead of the gorilla in that video!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

How to get on a bike

I lost interest the moment he mounted the bike from the wrong side.  Twat! 

Does anyone remember the old RAC/ACU motorcycle courses from years ago? (When it wasn't compulory) As part of that course they instructed you on the correct method taking your bike off the centre stand, mounting & dismounting and placing it on the stand again.  It became second nature and I still do it today.  They also tought your the 'Hendon shuffle' which I don't always follow.:laugh:

Reply to this Topic
thunderace85

Feb 11

thunderace85 says:

right hand side?????

i always start from the left, in the uk it means i dont have to stand in the road before i get on when im pulled over. what about center stands- il be amazed if they can put it on from the right- i feel sorry for anyone learning with these guys :-)

Reply to this Topic
Fefe

Jun 10

Fefe says:

Aye right ! LOL

Doesn't look right !!, was always taught to moount from the left, much more in control of the bike, like Slowlearner pointed out, if its gonna go, as least you have a chance of stopping it.  As for the crossing over left hand on to brake for dismounting ..awkward, also was told not to lean on tank when dismounting.... is this how all Americans get on/off their bikes? ;-) 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Muppets!

Hello, is that Motorcycle Riding Concepts? I think I need your help.

www.nhrr.net/videos/archive2/jakeBackwards.jpg

Reply to this Topic
mobileenoph

Jun 07

mobileenoph says:

What a load of B#llocks

Please ignore the above video.

as Slowlearner said.....what if the stand sunk into soft ground or rolled off the stand, you and the bike would be fooked

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Head rest.

I've just come across another weird American motorcycling innnovation:
Sports-bike head rest.
:huh:

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Lmao

And when I EVER do what the Americans do, I'll kill myself! They really are completely bonkers, think they know it all, morons!

Reply to this Topic
tday

Aug 02

tday says:

concept ??

what an absolute pile of crap,    so i approach my bmw r1150rt, parked on its centre stand, aproach on the LEFT hand side, because this is where the retractable handle is located, and is needed to get the lump off the stand, then what do i do, let it go and run round to the right side, before it hits the ground!!  You only need to apply the brake when you are half way to mounting your bike, whats the point of holding the brake before hand, the bike isn't going anywhere. For F...'s sake have these morons got no idea, and yes fefe is correct, you NEVER lean on the tank on approach or dismount.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

video is crap and that why will only work if you are tall ona small bike and will fail if you are small on a tall bike.

allways onfrom  the LEFT side. as you cant use the center stand if on the right hand side. if i am lifting it of the sidestand i will hold on the front brake on as i life up the bike upright. then put the stand up BEFORE i get on. and get off the bike then put the stand down allways do this as its easyer for me .

some one will have problems getting on a big bike if they are short from the right :mad:  as i have to get on from the left and use my body weight to left up a big bike. and why do people us call a side stand  then kick stand? that pisses me off.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices