Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

blueer6f

Sep 09

blueer6f says:

BMW F650GS twin Rear Disc

Hi,

Original rear pads worn to minimum at 9000 miles expected, but rear disc below minimum at 9000 miles????

Dealer or BMW don't want to know, and their technical responses are somewhat insulting (to us Enginering types).............can anyone advise next course of action, as i cannot accept this and am not prepared to shell out £180 of my hard earned!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (15 May 2011 19:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Welcome blueer6f,we know the mileage but what year and warranty has it? Sounds to me that the disc metal is too soft.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

"can anyone advise next course of action, as i cannot accept this and am not prepared to shell out £180 of my hard earned!"

Do without a back brake perhaps? :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
panbloke

Feb 09

panbloke says:

BMW F650GS twin Rear Disc

This does not sound right, but usually if a disc wears this much it is because it is dragging. Assuming a centre stand or paddock stand of some sort, I would expect the wheel to make about two clear revolutions under its own weight if you give it a spin by hand. If it doesn't it is probably dragging, and using the bike like this has worn it out... I'm guessing you already know this though.......

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi

As it will depend on how you use the rear brake it will suffer high wear rate. 

Do you unintentionally rest your foot on the brake pedal?

I think you will find that BMW will not deal with this as a warranty claim is because both items are classed as consumables.

Reply to this Topic
tonyfirshman

Oct 12

tonyfirshman says:

BMW F650GS twin rear disc

I have same model. I think BMW disk wear limits are too tight.  They also tell me replacement needed under 10,000 miles. Mind you they are 4mm worn at 20,000 so must replace!  The rear disk pads are tiny and last 5,000 miles.  That is the cause I think. Mine are not binding.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices