Skip to content

Discuss This Bike test rules relaxed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike test rules relaxed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bike test rules relaxed

The motorcycle test has been changed in a bid to improve safety. Changes are introduced today to the off-road part of the exam in the hope of cutting the number of learners who crash taking it. It marks victory in an MCN campaign for a shake-up of the test after 45 learners crashed in the first nine weeks following its 2009 introduction....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (16 May 2011 09:00)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fredwinter

May 10

fredwinter says:

bike test

well said breadman. I dont know what all the fuss is about either. The test is a dodle and if 40-odd people have crashed then that's better than their being allowed out on the roads. Obviously they cant handle their bikes and/or were ill prepared.

Reply to this Topic
BradleyRob

Jan 11

BradleyRob says:

relaxed test

I agree with skwaa91 that it is harder on the 125 than a bigger bike.  This made the test flawed and failed a large number of competent riders.  You need to do the test in 2nd to make the grade.

However both myself and my wife have just passed our test on a 'brilliant' Yama YBR, which can do 38 in 2nd if you ignore the screaming engine!!  125s seem less stable so you need bags of confidence and skill!.

Making the test more about how you ride than at what speed is sensible; however there are far too many putting in for their test without enough time on the bike.  No one seems to have charted how many hours those who came to grief had before the test.

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Agreed!

Breadman and fredwinter have got it spot on. Although the swerve might never be performed on road, it's all a case of learning machine control. And what's all that about having to come to a stop instantly after swerving? I was told to stop with my front wheel spindle inside some blue cones, not as soon as possible.

Reply to this Topic
Histy

Sep 10

Histy says:

Additional Loop?

Is this for real or just a figure of speech? MCN quote "Previously learners have been required to come to a halt almost immediately after the swerve but they can now perform an additional loop of the test area before stopping." When I attended a demonstration at our test centre a few weeks ago i was told candidates no longer have to stop with their front wheel in the blue cone box after the swerve but they have to stop in reasonable time and in control (not got through the fence) lol This performing an additional loop is misleading please could someone confirm? Histy - http://www.motorcycle-training.info/learning-to-ride.html

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Agreed, theres no "extra loop" after the swerve.  The stopping area is far more generous, and you get a "sighting run" - a free run around the bend and through the emergency stop speed trap - before the e-stop though.

There are a whole bunch of other small but significant changes as well, all of which really are decent common sense improvements.  The actual components haven't got easier (except for the 48kph minimum speed), but they've been strung together in a more sensible way, like doing the e-stop before the swerve so that dangerously unprepared candidates can be weeded out more safely.

It's almost like the DSA actually listened, and then acted on what they heard.  Gasp!

Score another one for Mike Penning, who seems like a really sound bloke.  Ex army, ex firefighter, got into politics late, biker, what more could you ask for?

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

Mod 1 20th May

Hi all..have been following all the changes with interest, took my Mod 1 last October failed with only doing 49km.was really dissapointed. Just taken it again on Friday "yippeee"  managed 50km on the swerve  & 52km emergency stop  no faults  :)  the thing that seem to stump me was: that you were speeding up towards a 6ft metal fence! your natuaral instincts tell you not! to do this! I know there is plenty of room but it still preys on your mind. I passed  on a Yamaha custom 125 and boy do they screem in 2nd!  I think that is also something that can put you off as we/I would never have my bike screaming at that pitch. I used to go to a quiet area and get to know the sound, and vibration my bike was makig at around 32 mph. If you can do this then on the test day if you listen to your bike you know roughly what speed you are doing...phew.! glad its done with  ..part 2 here I come  :)  good luck all.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices