Skip to content

Discuss This Le Mans MotoGP: Marco Simoncelli defends controversial overtake MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Le Mans MotoGP: Marco Simoncelli defends controversial overtake

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Le Mans MotoGP: Marco Simoncelli defends controversial overtake

Marco Simoncelli has defended himself against a renewed barrage of criticism after he was involved in a controversial incident in yesterday’s Le Mans MotoGP race that left Dani Pedrosa with a broken right collarbone. Simoncelli and Pedrosa were contesting second place on lap 18 when they collided on the entry to the second chicane. Trying to overtake on the outside, Simoncelli cut...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (16 May 2011 10:03)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

I don't think it was dangerous riding, he didn't deliberately hit him. Thats what short circut racing is all about.

Reply to this Topic
racinjetford

Nov 05

racinjetford says:

Revising my thought...

I know I just said Marco should have been penalized for dangerous riding, but like "therightstuff" mentioned, a ridethrough should really only be used for false starts and cut corners. Maybe a dangerous riding penalty should have been dealt to him later with a financial fine or something along those lines, since a ridethrough seems inappropriate... I do stand by this incident being Simoncelli's fault, and it was a mistake to cut to the inside as far as he did. Pedrosa was doing all he could to stop and turn that bike and Simoncelli gave him nowhere to go and no chance to escape...

Reply to this Topic
racinjetford

Nov 05

racinjetford says:

@daveire

By cutting into the rider on the inside line and leaving him nowhere to go, his move was dangerous and stupid, and whether he meant to HIT Dani or not, he made that stupid move on purpose and either cut into Dani's (inside) line on purpose or made a huge mistake by turning down into him when Dani was obviously doing all he could to get it stopped and let Marco by. This isn't NASCAR. Short track racing isn't about bashing people out of the way. It's not about cutting in from the outside and knocking your opponent off (and Marco's move would have put himself into the wall in NASCAR, not the other guy). I don't understand were you got all that but I think you're off base...

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

There was a similar type crash in the BSB at cruft, and not a word about it. BSB is better racing.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Brain-Fade

To attempt an overtake on the outside of the initial bend of an S curve shows brain-fade at it's best. Marco is sure making a name for himself, and not in a good way.

Reply to this Topic
BeeBlade

Feb 08

BeeBlade says:

Boyz, Boyz, Boyz

When will this end ... Can anyone not see that this IS RACING not  "F1 follow me follow you". These RACERS get paid an obsene ampont of money to be the Best in the world at what they do .. Lets not allow the suits-in-the-box put dampers on a great championship and lessen the spectacle .. Can't believe for one minute the Greats of the past would have given the incident a second glance ... And anyway can't remember Vale getting a ride thru in Phillip Island for easing Casey over on the last corner a few years ago ... LET RACERS RACE ..If they cant hack it F1 doors are always open for them ...  

Reply to this Topic
joeboy88

Apr 09

joeboy88 says:

ITS RACING!

I agree with "BeeBlade" its racing and let them get on with it.  Its getting far too dependant on men in suits who have never even been on a track before.  Fair enough it was a tough move but I've seen far worse in past racing.  Remember the days when Chris Walker and Niel Hodgson were at it and they knocked each other off, no one said a word because its racing.  Just let the racers do the talking on the track, thats what they are paid to do. 

Never know, Marco might get his first podium one day ha!

Reply to this Topic
philgood2

Jan 04

philgood2 says:

I wonder if casey was not leading the race would they have giving marco the penalty.

Reply to this Topic
VitorR

Jan 09

VitorR says:

Pedrosa was in front of Simoncelli all the way

Thanks racinjetford! I would just like to add that Pedrosa was in front of Simoncelli all the way , not the other way around. The only moment where Simoncelli got less than a bike's length ahead of Pedrosa was when Pedrosa got on the brakes and Simoncelli forgot the basic laws of physics that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time...

Reply to this Topic
VitorR

Jan 09

VitorR says:

add to my own comments that it...

add to my own comments that is...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle