Skip to content

Discuss This Terblanche Norton sketches revealed New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Terblanche Norton sketches revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Terblanche Norton sketches revealed

Just three months after starting work at Norton, legendary bike designer Pierre Terblanche has opened his sketch book to give a tantalising glimpse into possible future bikes from the British firm. Terblanche has been the man behind some of the most famous designs in bikes; from the Ducati Supermono, Hypermotard, 999 and original Multistrada through to the recent Moto Guzzi concept...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (20 May 2011 17:17)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

this is exactly what Norton should be concentrating on at the moment .... stop the delusions of being on the MotoGP grid next year and focus on giving us something spectacular and contemporary for the road while being true to the Norton brand. 

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

So

Have they made any yet?

Reply to this Topic
motosnape

Jan 10

motosnape says:

How Odd!

Did Terblanche really sketch "MCN" over the top of those pictures, so that we can't make out a significant amount of details in the drawings?

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

These designs to me look very poor and lazy to be honest. The mono-shock 961 Commando look-a-like is nowhere near as good as the current Kenny Dreer designed 961. The simple looking 'scrambler' looks to be the best of this sorry bunch I'm afraid. 

How much are Norton paying Terblanche for this crap?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

oh dear

sadly terreblanche will be the demise of norton the man could not design a pencil, look at his portfolio , the multistrada, and 999/749 what fit of madness did norton suffer from to hinder their chances of profitability

plain stupid

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

hope he hasn't drawn the gp bike

Is this one based on a rotavater ?

Reply to this Topic
urbanfox

Mar 07

urbanfox says:

@nigel100

'Man couldn't design a pencil'. 'Plain stupid'.

Ill-informed, knee-jerk response I think.

Design is about far more than just the way something looks. I've been riding a 749 for years now and it's a brilliant sports bike, ergonomically far superior to the 748 (which I've also ridden), and infinitely better engineered than its Tamburini-designed predecessors, no matter how pretty they were (in their day).

The 749/999 was ahead of its time (admittedly to the detriment of the market's response), but many contemporary bikes still continue to pick up cues from its styling. Oh, and let's not forget all those WSB titles the 999 achieved. Design is as much about good engineering as obsessing over retro-focused, rose-tinted aesthetics. Okay, the original Multistrada wasn't pretty, but it's always been regarded as a great bike nonetheless. How about the Hypermotard? That was his work too.

If you're going to dismiss the man, at least back it up with a coherent argument.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

he's come

a long way since terrorising black South Africa eh!?.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

there's a difference

between designing something, and actually selling it... and it has nothing to do with the ethnic commodity, only the financial one.

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

I thought I had created a coherent argument !

the 749/999 looks like 3 attempts  to get something right sadly it still looks fugly, it may well ride better than the earlier bikes however t doesnt compare in beauty with the 916/998 series or the later 1098/1298 which terreblanche had nothing to do with. the multistrada similarly rides very well indeed but i have seen prettier warthogs! and Ducati would have sold many many more if only it had looked better.

It is also worth noting that he then made a much heralded "move" to Aprilia where he produced a load of  concept drawings which were printed in the papers however only a matter of weeks later he is doing the same for Norton so presumably Aprilias reply was NO !  no doubt they hold the same opinion of his abilities as i do!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices