Skip to content

Ask an Expert hows this work then? Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > hows this work then?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dickysdesmos

Feb 11

dickysdesmos says:

hows this work then?

visited my uncle last weekend and whilst there some nice honest person knocked my 916 over, picked it up and did a runner.

now, i thought that was it and bought the parts(clutch lever and indicators) needed so i could ride it again. however there is cosmetic damage to the mirror, lower fairing and mono tailpiece and headlight frame so if i repair it im looking at a fair bit of cash.

but, since last weekend, two people have told my uncle that they saw what happend and will give a statement saying so. the bloke is a bit of a rat from what people say and he just denied it. he was even t-cutting the scratches out while i was still there aparantly.

as i see it he has caused a damage only incident on the highway and left the scene, also not reported it.

so, why should i affect my 22 years no claims (thats how i afford to insure my two dukes, without that i guess i would struggle) cause he is a dishonest type?

cheers guys.

i should add, its not a tatty bike at all. it won a trophy at stafford classic mechanics bike show and best belt drive at a national ducati rally. so its quite special to me as ive put a fair bit into it.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 May 2011 18:46)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

Think what i would do mate is go find the bastard and give him a good hiding... sorry i cant be of anymore help than that.. are you from stafford by the way?.. i am a stokie :)

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

Statements

I've never been in this situation but have heard of similar things, there is a previous post on this site (legal) from someone who had a student knock over his bike which maybe of some use (the post was "non road legal bike sold to me" posted 78 days ago(relevant bit starts at bottom of the first page)

I'd start off by reporting it to the police as soon as possible and get statements from the witnesses. Your insurance company maybe able to persue somesort of claim from the person responsible or you can also take him to court. Speaking to the police to register the crime and speaking to your insurance company as soon as possible is probably the best start.

Hope it works out for you.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

thats me.... bloody students...

I was going to say;

Damage to my bike is well over £2,200 of damage. Handed the bloke to the police and they are supposedly still dealing with it, will give them a phone call during the week.

The damage to my bike was all cosmetic but you have to think this:
When I go to sell this bike that damage, although cosmetic, will devalue the bike and not my fault. So why should I be screwed over for it.
Why the hell was the person close enough to knock it over / they take a lot of pushing to knock over.
It was not your fault at all. 

Insurance company;
My insurance company (TPTF) said unless the police charge the bloke with theft or attempted theft they will wash their hands of it. Which they did as he got done for criminal damage. I also believe you have to notify them as you will notify police or they get bitchy when you make another claim (don't hold me to it what I have heard).

Police do take a long time to respond to anything. If there is people who are willing to give statements to support you then you stand a better chance of getting money and reimbursed from him. 

At the end of the day why should you have to pay for some one else who damaged your bike. Thats what I felt.

Drop me a message if you want any more info

AJ

Reply to this Topic
dickysdesmos

Feb 11

dickysdesmos says:

well

i saw the police, who gave me some good advice so thanks to them. but after he gave my uncle a gob full of abuse i went and knocked the door to discuss it. he came out and admitted it and will pay the damage costs, so all is good at desmo towers now.

ps, im from kidderminster but do the stafford bike show stand twice a year with the ducati owners club

thanks for the advise guys:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices