Skip to content

Discuss This Have you crashed on stone chip surfacing? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Have you crashed on stone chip surfacing?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Have you crashed on stone chip surfacing?

MCN is investigating stone chip road surfacing after receiving reports of crashes from readers. According to the Road Surface Treatments Association there has been a "massive" increase in use of the stone chip by local authorities trying to cut costs. The technique, also called 'surface dressing' relies on passing traffic to embed stone chips onto bitumen. Have you crashed on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 May 2011 10:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

crashed about a year agonear abergavenny at a junction. took pictures of the scene but i was told i would not be able to prove liability .

Reply to this Topic
SVLydia

Apr 11

SVLydia says:

lost the back end when they had resurfaced my route to work with the stuff, managed to save it but thats not the point. It's positively dangerous.

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Roads

It seems the country just want to pocket the taxes and give nothing back.  There are so many potholes and lumps and bumps in the road its getting as though you need a trail bike just to get around a city.

I don't mind the chippings it the lack of signage that is the problem sometimes the signs are on top of the works giving you no chance od changing speed of riding angle

Reply to this Topic
Fazerpod

Mar 06

Fazerpod says:

Smacked in the face

Not crashed yet but got a face full of stone chips when riding my (push) bike.  Good job I was wearing sun glasses.

When driving down the same stretch of road following a motorbike I got showered with chips - bet the council won't cough up for the damage to my windscreen....

Between the chips, the potholes and the cheezewire central reservation on the A3, anyone would think the "Heath and Safety" mentality has gone out of the window.  Next thing they'll be reducing speed limits on these roads to prevent the accidents caused by this lunacy.

Reply to this Topic
MarkMax

Aug 02

MarkMax says:

Road chippings

Havent crashed but a stretch of road near me gets "dressed" every year & EVERY year the cars ignore the 20mph speed limits traveling much faster which throws the chippings out of the tyre tracks so you end up with two smooth shiney lines down both lanes. So then you have to chance a loose road surface or a shiney road surface, (What fun, ahem)

Reply to this Topic
inewham

Aug 06

inewham says:

Nice planning

There are only so many routes between where I live and where I work and the council has seen fit to surface dress all of them *at the same time*. Nice planning.

Reply to this Topic
mobileenoph

Jun 07

mobileenoph says:

The council have just done the A469 near where I live, It's a duel carriageway with national speed limit and the council have placed 10mph signs up, fookin nightmare, but vehicles still travel along there at 70mph+.             stone chips flying every where

Reply to this Topic
Nostrils

May 06

Nostrils says:

A217

Anyone using the A217 will see how much the road can be damaged by Road Surfacing and not proper maintenance.  However, just found out that the A217 North of M25 will be dug up for water/gas works and no doubt the council will use this as an excuse for not repairing the road.  Will they repair / resurface after, that is is the quesiton

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

no but very nearly.

The road from seaway cafe(Fridaythorpe) to Oxton roundabout then Scarborough or Bridlington.Theres plenty of work going on there and there very short of signs,Its a horrible feeling when you hit that stuff at speed.Look for the dust clouds from the cars not going at 20mph.

Reply to this Topic
Mikeyy

Oct 10

Mikeyy says:

Nostrils

i use that road nearly everyday and i know what your talking about. its very bad espicaily the surfaces of the roudabouts are very bad. id be very tempted to take some photos of the state of the roudabouts and some of the genral roadsurfaces along the A217. For me ive know what to expect along the road but imagine someone who hasnt ridden the road and comes across the bad parts and panics, epsecially one of the roundabouts as the entry to the roundabout is quiet blind to the right and has gravel and uneven surfaces as you aproach under braking.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices