Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

New bike

Not too happy...

Saw a very nice CBR600 RR for £4400 with 8,000 miles... I was going to buy it but can't afford my insurance...

Current insurance on a '99 cbr 600 is £800 and for the RR would be £2900. To which I can't afford.

DAMM.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 May 2011 01:26)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Strewth...

... and I thought I had it bad, paying £360 fully comp on a new gsxr600!

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

mine

Mine is only third party fire and theft as well... with £800 excess.. 

I think the term to be used is: getting bent over backwards and taken by the insurance company....:upset:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Cheaper insurance...

My advice is to make sure you've got a totally clean licence - no points, convictions of any kind - a decent record of good riding/driving behind you,  and you'll have insurance companies positively keen to offer you a good deal.

Hope this helps!   :lol:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I was quoted

£203 on a '97 GS500, and £305 on a 2006 ER6F, both TPFT.

As SL states, age / NCB / clean licence all help, some insurers will drop individual policy prices if you have more than one policy (house / car / 2nd bike).
Advanced riding like IAM can sometimes help.

Do bear in mind that high performance bikes attract high premiums due to the high cost if it gets damaged (cracked plastics if you drop it), bear in mind also that if it's attractive to you, it'll be attractive to a thief as well.

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Against me

I think it is all against me at the moment.

I am 21 passed in January time. I have got a car license with 4 years ncb and a clean license... though

I know my experience is against me but its annoying that people who do pay insurance get done royally. My car insurance is not cheap either. They just lump me in with the majority of people who crash and cause accidents. 

Just have to wait a few years...

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Good on you, ajroberts...

Your licence is clean, you've passed the tests OK.   Now you've just got to wait, and suck it up for the crime of being young (something all of us have been guilty of at some point in the past, to paraphrase Isaac Asimov).   Yes, you've got to put up with the collective taint of your reckless age-group, but so have we all until we've distinguished ourselves.

For instance, at twice your age - 42 - one finds insurance a lot cheaper, but only if one is as sensible as you plan on being.  If (as a 42 y.o.) I went for a quote with a terrible record, the policy would be even worse that what you've been landed at 21 and nearly no record.

It seems unfair, but insurance people only go by statistics and the record they have of you personally.

At least you have youth - enjoy it while you can.  Appreciate it and take advantage of it, even when things like this piss you off about it.  Life goes by so fast.

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Youth and Insurance

Goes by even quicker at 72 ! Don`t wish your life away to look forward to cheaper Insurance . I`d willingly triple my premiums to halve my age .

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Ouch...

That is a huge amount. I think I would be tempted to check on the insurance for a newish (e.g. 04) model CBR600F or a Hornet. Either of these is significantly cheaper to insure for me than a RR and should give a handling and performance boost. A VFR800 will probably be somewhere between the CBR600F and the CBR600RR in cost...
Otherwise perhaps look at less out-and-out sports bikes like the Fazer 1000, BMW GS, FJR1300...
The not taking car ncb is a real pain - I have the maximum ncb from my car but can't use it on the bike but the minute I have points or an accident they will take those into account on both!
One last thought - Did you get that quote from your current insurer? If so you may get a much better quote from someone else - even if you have to abandon your fractional ncb for the year so far and just use the integer number of years you have so far. I find Insurance companies take the proverbial when you are attempting to amend your policies as they know you are very unlikely to change company...

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Insurance

Thanks for the replies.

I am gunna stick my my CBR600fx at the moment as I am going travelling in September now so there is not much point in me changing the bike.

I checked with my insurance company and they wanted at least 2 years NCB before they would think about it. The £3000 quote was from an online comparison. 

As I am 21 and phone insurance companies up and go for jobs they are surprised that I don't have any points on my license and haven't. I feel like saying back, not everyone drives around like a maniac, so knock some premiums off for me.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle