Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati’s GP12 unlikely to repeat 2007 dominance MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati’s GP12 unlikely to repeat 2007 dominance

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati’s GP12 unlikely to repeat 2007 dominance

Ducati is unlikely to replicate its domination of MotoGP after the last time the premier class instigated a major rule change back in 2007. When engine capacity was reduced from 990cc to 800cc, Ducati crushed its Japanese rivals with the GP7 winning 11 races and Casey Stoner romped to the world title. MotoGP will switch to a 1000cc capacity limit in 2012...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 May 2011 14:17)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Mort77

Mar 09

Mort77 says:

Dominance 2

Repsol Honda 1996 (if memory serves) won every single race. Doohan won the lions share with Crivelle and Okada mopping up the rest. Gibernau was on the v twin Honda back then but still equited himself well. Ducati did not dominate in 2007 - Casey did. Rossi has dominated in the past but as has been mentioned Michelin would make a tyre for him and overnight it to the track for him. Still he won another two World Championships on the same tyre as everyone else so in the control tyre era is the winningest (in Championship terms - Casey as we know has the most race wins) rider.

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

RDB46

What i said was a simple joke, hence the smiley face at the end :) 

In the 2007 i have no doubt the Ducati was head and shoulders above the rest, but yourself and the fan crew make out the rest of the field were on 125's.. Most manafacturers closed the gap to Ducati by the half way point in the season, but they didnt close the gap to CASEY.. Yes, Stoner is on the best bike now, but Stoner did win on that 'shit' Ducati last year also, and i expect nothing less from Lord Rossi.

Its funny how people resort to 'Casey is only winning becase he is on the best bike' ... So all those years Rossi won the title, was that a rusty bicycle he picked out of the dump and magically turned into a title winner ? no, Rossi has had the best bike for most of his career, so stop moaning(how ironic) when Stoner is given the chance to blitz the rest of the field.

At Le Mans, i cant recall the exact gap, but im sure Stoner was at least 6 seconds clear of pedrosa at one point ... but hey, im sure he had a secret nitrous package nicely tucked away, yes ?

Rossi has the best treatment out of all the riders, as pointed out he had tryes made custom for him when he was on michelins. He can get away with murder in the paddock, and still be praised by officials and spectators.

The whole sarcasm thing is becoming pretty boring now, but good picture choice. I'm surprised you didn't put 'Honda, 2011 world champion' as thats the only reason he's winning right ?

Reply to this Topic
grendelsarm

Oct 10

grendelsarm says:

Exactly...

Rossi inherited Mick Doohan's 5 time championship 500cc bike. Anyone could have won the time with that dominant a bike. On top of it Honda was head and shoulders above anyone else when the 990cc 4-stroke came out. And on top of it he was getting tires made for him the night before and shipped to him the next day. Even Colin Edwards said no one could ride on the tires Rossi was riding back then. When he went to Yamaha he was competing against an old Biaggi and Sete who was an ok rider but probably at best a Pedrosa in terms of winning races. Give Rossi a so so bike instead of the dominant bike and a higher level of competition and what happens? He struggles to make a podium like this year.

Reply to this Topic
RossiDukeBiker46

Jul 10

Agreed....Honda have won the Championship

Not just Stoner and his talent. At least, thats what you wanted me to agree with, right? :) (smiley face means light hearted sarcasm aimed at the angry Rossi haters).

And before we go there Dani hasn't been 100% once yet since Stoners arrival. No competition.

I honestly believe Stoner will win now. I don't need to credit him for anything because there are plenty who will. Thing is, are people only supporting Stoner because of his ability to beat Rossi or because they like the guy. Its certainly a good chance to shove it up Rossi fans. Which is all cool. I like it this way. Silverstone should be a good laugh. Don't forget that us, as posters, represent such a small minority of the Motogp fan base its actually quite laughable we keep arguing.

People talk like one day we'll all just agree that all the riders are talented and blah, blah, blah. I don't think we'll ever agree and thats a good thing. For a start I have to keep my OCD in check by posting crap to get it out of my head!!!

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

SV659NUT

"Prediction is difficult - especially about the future"

While predicting the past is a piece of piss haha

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

file this under the

"no shit Sherlock" tab or maybe in the "You don't say?" folder.

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Hondas title ??

Nah not just yet Yamaha will fight and when their riders get their requests accepted for power then we'll see a challenge should be good to watch the M1 using its agility and brakes to reel the Hondas in.

Reply to this Topic
Milkybars

Feb 11

Milkybars says:

Yep ... Casey should

Win it .....after all he is on the best by out there. Same as 2007....spring to mind. The guy is like a roving rider looking for the best equipment. It will be the same conclusion as 2007. He won with his unfair advantage of dual clutch technology and all. Can this guy ever win on lesser, like what Rossi did to him in 2008 with just a minor upgrade as Bridgestone tires.

Reply to this Topic
slit

Mar 11

slit says:

Yamaha3358

*correction, casey stoner unlikely to repeat rossi's dominance since 1996 :)

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Milkybars

Utter drivel

Try and weigh up a few facts before repeating the boring and unimaginative Stoner hate mail

Roving rider...?? 5 years in Motogp, 2006 on a satellite Honda, then 4 years on the Ducati. Is there another meaning to the word roving that the rest of us are not aware of.

2007 - best bike etc,  yawn yawn. Take Stoner off the bike and where did the other rider finish. 7th. Hardly the result you'd expect from a top class rider on the dominant / best bike.

Perhaps you can advise why Capirossi only finished 7th on the best bike.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices