Skip to content

Discuss This TT Preview: Michael Dunlop, the Maverick TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > TT Preview: Michael Dunlop, the Maverick

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Gary Pinchin  says:

TT Preview: Michael Dunlop, the Maverick

Michael Dunlop. Twenty-two years old. TT winner. Privateer. Maverick. Dunlop was courted by top teams this winter but eventually stuck with his gang of friends and backers, who have supported him so enthusiastically. But why do that when the racing's so tough and a factory eases the pain? "I'm where I am because of the people I've got around me. They have put...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (27 May 2011 15:36)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

worthy words from the young man.  let's hope the Kawasaki link is a springboard to something bigger in time.  i'll no doubt get slated by an irish contingent for saying this, but if he to test himself against the best of his contemporaries and showcase his talent, then he needs to get into circuit racing and see if he can hack it in the big time.  i've a lot of respect for the achievements of the Laverty brothers who have taken that step forward - can Michael Dunlop take the family name to the world stage?  he needs to demonstrate some ambition to do that ...

Reply to this Topic
corserrep

Nov 09

corserrep says:

Michael

To be honest I think Michaels heart lies with pure roadracing.... but who knows what the future will bring, he's still a young man.. best of luck to both himself and William on TT week.

Reply to this Topic
dav1df

May 11

dav1df says:

Dunlop

Think its a little wrong saying saying Dunlop should move to something bigger like short circuits, completely different game and Rossi himself even said he wouldn't race the tt! And i dont think the way MotoGp is going so whimpy they could handle him lol

Reply to this Topic
Agostini15

May 09

Agostini15 says:

Good rider but a bit mental !

I've always though Michael Dunlop's riding style is too aggressive for pure road circuits.He's had a few crashes over the last couple of years and so far managed to get away with it.

I had to laugh when I read the TT preview in the MCN this week when Dunlop said he "hadn't done any fancy fitness training but was good for 6 laps around the TT". Well,maybe you don't need to be mega fit to race a bike for 6 laps but being super fit helps you recover or even survive a massive crash.Stuart Easton could give him some advice on that issue.I hope Michael wins a race or 2 at this years TT but i will just be happy if he gets through it unhurt.We've lost the 2 best Dunlop riders,we don't want to add another one to the list .

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

agostini 15

I know what you mean this Dunlop does come across as a bit more Michelin,and does seem a bit overaught for a road racer,lets hope we are wrong and he has a safe one

Reply to this Topic
corserrep

Nov 09

corserrep says:

@dav1df..

would like to see Simoncelli try that move on Micky... he'd be picking gravel out of his teeth for a fortnight,.. lol

Reply to this Topic
corserrep

Nov 09

corserrep says:

@dav1df..

would like to see Simoncelli try that move on Micky... he'd be picking gravel out of his teeth for a fortnight,.. lol

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I agree

with the posts on here saying road racing is another level.. OK it's not as famous or watched by millions as GP/WSB etc, but for me road racing is the pinnacle of motorcycle-sport, with the TT being the pinnacle of that and all those involved are real men at the top of their game.. I wish all involved a safe, fast, enjoyable and succesfull TT

Reply to this Topic
swampman

Aug 09

swampman says:

Yes i agree michaels style is abit do or die but i remember watching his uncle many years ago around the irish road s and in his early days there was nobody more hairy than him .I remember joey round the old cookstown circuit at the old sandhole section there was dirt ,grass the lot flying ,what i am trying to say is they all go through this stage its if they learn, you only get away with that for so long ,now its time for michael to start becoming a smother rider or there is only going to be one result.But i think he is going to be hard to beat if he uses his head and keeps his feet for dancing,good luck.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Good comments. Such good money in doing the roads I can see why he doesn't bother much with short circuit racing where fractions of a second make the difference between first and twenty first and where he would 'be required' to get in shape.  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices