Skip to content

Ask an Expert taking a part 2 test Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > taking a part 2 test

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply



Feb 10

Posts: 12

k1200ser says:

taking a part 2 test

Hi all, need some advice. My mate has recently failed a part 2 for braking too hard when a red light came on. Is it possible for me to ride his bike to the test centre, insurance in place etc obviously, for him to do the test on his own bike, and should he fail or pass, we can worry about that then?? This would save him loadsa money, surely its legal as long as the bike is roadworthy?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (02 June 2011 21:27)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required


Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)


Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 



Mar 11

Posts: 171

tc330 says:

Own bike for test.

I would imagine that your mate will find it difficult to get insurance to ride his bike as a learner, presuming that it is over 125cc. You have to sign a declaration at the start of a mod 2 test stating that you have insurance for the vehicle, and the DSA are obliged to report any suspicious people to the police. I have seen guys ride in on 600cc bikes, put L plates on , take test and fail, only for the police to be waiting around the corner when they ride away:wacko:

Reply to this Topic


Jun 09

Posts: 1050

Amateurcynic says:


as tc330 says, would definately be an issue. You haven't stated that the bike is over 125cc but I'm going to assume it is as I can't see any other reason you'd need to take it to the test centre for him. Unless he has insurance personally at the time of the test it's a no-no, examiner won't take you out without it, and he'd check you have it as it's your own bike. When riding a training schools' bike you're using their insurance so might be best looking at other options. Best of luck with it all.

Reply to this Topic


Jan 11

Posts: 206

not 100% sure

check with your insurer but as the other chaps have said your school is covered for you... i think you can with the relivent insurance take your test but if you fail it hten becomes void. if you pass your laffin... the insurance must work diffrent for bikes than cars cos if you fail car test your not insured to drive the car back thats why your car instructer takes over and drives the with bike you are allowed to ride it back to to school. when i passed my bike test my instructer said see you back at mine and road off had to make my own way back to the school wich was fun . make some calls toyour insurance and if you get cover make sure it covers you to ride home but your instructer would have to ride with you as alearner you have to be with him enyway.....thats if you fail if you pass you wouldnt need to be with him/her then.... confusing isnt it im sure your school as more than 1 bike ask him to use diffrent one if you dont feel comfie on the one your riding???

Reply to this Topic


Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale


It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices