Skip to content

Ask an Expert do bikers still nod to each other ? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > do bikers still nod to each other ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nashy1

Apr 11

nashy1 says:

do bikers still nod to each other ?

i have come back to biking after a 20 year break (life just got in the way but i ve come to my senses now) when i used to ride every biker you passed would give a little nod without fail but now i only get the occational reply. whats happened guys ? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (03 June 2011 08:31)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Nod

I do, regardless of type and size of bike. But you are right in that this is not as common as it used to be. I started riding in the late 70's when we all acknowledged eachother and nobody stood at the roadside having broken down without a fellow biker stopping to see if he could help.

As bikes are now more reliable I have not been stranded at the roadside for years so don't know if guys still stop.  I do if I think someone's in trouble.   

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Mostly yes,

cops always nod back (in Surrey at least)

with Harley Riders not always, as they're hanging on against the vibes so hard you can't tell

Scooterboys (in trackies and trainers) hardly worth the effort

Majority do respond though

Reply to this Topic
saferide30

Apr 10

saferide30 says:

I always nod

as bikers as soon as you get on two wheels your part of an elite group.  I broke down a few weeks ago on a dual carriageway, well, its embarrassing actually I wont go there, but while in the layby 3 fellow bikers stopped to see if i needed help 2 of them were on the opposite side of the carriageway so had to come back which they did.  that was a really good feeling to know that we still look out for each other.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

I've noticed...

...fewer and fewer bikers return the nod as the year gets going.   When the colder weather thins the herd again in Autumn, the proportion of bikers left that return the nod increases again.

Reply to this Topic
Will125

May 11

Will125 says:

Nods

I normally nod to everything on two wheels, with a few exceptions of 16 year old scooter riders. It's about a 50-50 to weather or not I get a reply, but that might be because I've still got the L plates on.. 

As for helping a biker in need, I have pulled over a few times for people standing by bikes on the side of the road, the majority of which only stopped for a smoke or to answer a phone call, but I feel better in knowing that they don't need assistance. 

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

I always give a nod

but i try and make eye contact first, if the rider looks at me, ill nod, if he does a blank stare to his front i wont bother as he is clearly trying to ignore my presence, nod to L plates aswell, dont bother with scooter riders in their track suits though because theyre not worth the effort.

Agreed on the weather determining how many nods you get back, tbh its better riding when the weather is poor, all the cunts come out when the sun appears, not to mention the fact the public thinks your a wannabe racer dickhead and the police hassle you at every opportunity, someone phoned the polic the other day for dragging my knee round an empty round about trying to teach a friend, had an unmarked police car trying to rear end me to get me to speed, had another rozzer stop in the middle of the road to try and get me to overtake over double whites, and been beeped at so many times for overtaking or filtering, just in the last week!

Reply to this Topic
scalli

Oct 10

scalli says:

mainly

I will nod to anything that doesnt have lots of tupperware or is a scooter. I still give scooters the finger or the wanker sign even after all these years

Reply to this Topic
speedy2388

May 11

speedy2388 says:

nodding

hi there i am a born again biker after about 20 years  i still nod or a simple wave but i broke down a couple of months ago and no one stopped for me where back in the 80es they would of stopped

Reply to this Topic
bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Churchill Nodding Dog Nod

I'm a newbie rider converted from 10 years of car driving and love it.  I wondered why people do the special sideways nod.  Always makes me smile.  Reminds me of when i used to have my old mini cooper.  Those were the days 1.3i 90bhp oh yes!

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Hells angels (type)

:ph43r:If you ride a sports bike and you give one of these your best girlie wave you can see there necks double in size and veins start to appear,there face will go red and they look at you as if they want to kill you,its very entertaining.I do it a lot.:lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices