Skip to content

Ask an Expert do bikers still nod to each other ? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > do bikers still nod to each other ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nashy1

Apr 11

nashy1 says:

do bikers still nod to each other ?

i have come back to biking after a 20 year break (life just got in the way but i ve come to my senses now) when i used to ride every biker you passed would give a little nod without fail but now i only get the occational reply. whats happened guys ? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (03 June 2011 08:31)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cruiserG

May 11

cruiserG says:

nod

i try the eye contact first, if it looks like the other rider will or does nod i return the nod, i do find thats sorts bikes dont nod back to cruisers, i used to nod to all 'bikes' but not all nod back so now if you nod i'll nod, scooter kids with trackies on haven't got it yet.:smile

Reply to this Topic
dpfam

Aug 10

dpfam says:

make way for noddy ;-)

I always give the nod, it bugs when u get a snob biker with their nose up!! balls to um & BALLS to the angry wasp brigade grow up!!

Reply to this Topic
vincentnewman

Jun 10

do bikers still nod to each other ?

glad to see the nod's not dead,if they look i nod sideway,up down or just poke my tongue out if it's a harly they can't see it any way cause their haeds are up their ar!!!!! .. abroad the lift a foot of the peg, hand of bars to the side or same wave but thumb down for a speed trap very handy

Reply to this Topic
chrisbf125

Sep 10

chrisbf125 says:

London - no Nods

In London hardly anyone nods; you can't afford to stop concentrating on where you're going for a second or you might end up in the back of a bus!

Reply to this Topic
lozandhaggiz

Jun 11

lozandhaggiz says:

just give a little nod

I've been riding for over thirty years, and you name it, i,ve done it all on bikes. I've toured, commuted in all weathers, raced, and now pretty much limit my riding to weekends and when the weather's fair. These days I have an R1 that's a bit special and race leathers, so don't go calling anybody a c*nt (Andyvfr1, who the hell are you to call anyone that?)

In all that time, i have waved or nodded at everything on two wheels, that has been coming towards me, i've overtaken, or has overtaken me, and that includes young guys on scooters(although there's not many of them that has overtaken me!).
They don't always wave back, but hey that wasn't why i did it.
The reason we do it, is we realise that we are a fraternity. Everyone on two wheels realises what we each go through to ride our chosen mount, and the dangers and prejudices that we face. The nod just acknowledges that.
So my advice, is try to make the world a little bit better and friendlier,  just give a little nod or a wave, it wont hurt you, and it might just put a little smile on the other persons face.

Enjoy the ride.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Agree

with loz I allways wave,nod,or light flash depending on circumstance, sometimes when fully occupied in try and give what i call a "yoda" ie too committed to act but know i can someones there, then i use the force.:sunglasses: 

Reply to this Topic
shugd3

Jun 11

shugd3 says:

nod or wave

i find some biker's don't return a nod or wave, even if i do, usually harley's, although i'd say not the real harley bikers, i'd say, (wild hog's) i:e doctors and dentist's, seen the movie. here in stirling, perth, trossachs area, no problems with police, always get a nod back, here's a pic of latest police bike, watch those mirrors

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

L plates

I have been riding on L Plates for few yrs now(until today whoohooo) and its great when the other bikers nod, but  even with my L Plates on, many of them used to give me a nod (not sure if they knew I was a lady biker )! lol   I found the bigger the bikes the more nods I got, and as for the lads on the scooters!! well!! there still young yet lol.. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

The Nod.

There's a knack to "The Nod." Do it too early and the other rider might not see it. Do it too late and the other guy/gal doesn't get a chance to respond (if he/she was waiting for you to go first). Some of the scooter and commuter types just aren't into "biking" as such and probably don't know about the nod.

The sideways nod which Andy949494 referred to is a consequence of riding a head-down, bum-up sportsbike where the conventional up-down nod means momentarily losing sight of the horizon.

Apparently the AA don't salute to warn of speed traps anymore either. Bastards.

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

lol

lol @ AA  lol

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle