Skip to content

Discuss This British MotoGP: Stoner dominates wet race MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > British MotoGP: Stoner dominates wet race

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

British MotoGP: Stoner dominates wet race

Repsol Honda rider Casey Stoner has taken the lead in the MotoGP championship with a dominant victory at a rain soaked Silverstone circuit. Current champion Jorge Lorenzo got the holeshot into the first corner, but Stoner and team-mate Andrea Dovizioso passed him before the end of the first lap. Stoner passed Dovizioso at the first corner on lap two and from...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (12 June 2011 14:11)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mike2265

Apr 11

mike2265 says:

I never find wet races boring - simply because I'm on the edge of my seat watching them ride in tretcherous conditions.  Caseys ride was brilliant, didn't put a wheel wrong.  Got out to a lead, slowed and maintained it.  Edwards ride was supurb, he was having to push it with hayden bearing down on him at the end - they were both running 2-3sec faster than Stoner and Dovi at the end which you could tell with the little slips they were having.

MotoGP does have a problem - but it's been there for a number of years now.  Not enough bikes on the grid.  To expensive.  The problem isn't the distance between riders, that's the usual case.  If you've been watching it for a couple of decades and don't just selectively remember the exciting races then you'll realise that it goes through a couple of spurts of excitement but mostly spreads out.  And wet races are another thing altogether.

What will be interesting for MotoGP is where the feeder riders come from.  The current crop have come up through the 250's and I'd argue that the depth of top notch riders hasn't been as good since the early-mid 1990's.  But moto2 isn't going to be a good feeder class.  Some seem to think that turning motoGP into a moto2 style would improve it.  The racing might get closer but the caliber would drop I reckon.  I wonder if now we'll start seeing riders coming across from the superbikes again rather than up through the GP ranks.

And RDP46.  I for one are happy that Stoner doesn't feel the need to do things like a  number 27 celebration.  He rides bikes, no nonsense, he's no show pony.  MotoGp is about riding bikes, not some daft soap opera.  That 'all about me' ham acting celebration stuff is a total turn off, I grew out of pantamines many years ago. 

Reply to this Topic
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

Good point mike2265

Rossi should have grown out of it years ago as well, he is the michael jackson of motogp a 32 year old acting like he is 13, though I guess like rossi MJ was also very popular with a certain demographic. I wish Jorge would give the apeing of this behaviour a miss and let his riding do the talking I wonder if his minders are giving him these ideas if so they are not doing him any favors.

Reply to this Topic
mike2265

Apr 11

mike2265 says:

princeofrepsol

I actually think Rossi has grown out of it.  He hardly ever does it now when he wins and when he does it's more subdued and I believe a result of media/fan expectations and continuing his brand.  I blame the nature of Italian TV - what I've seen of it it seems to be vaudvillian in character.  I'm just surprised there weren't any bare breasted women involved... maybe he really is gay - lol. 

Agree with Jorge as well.  The behavior sort of suits Rossis character more - but not Jorges and yes, I wonder if does come from management trying to create his own brand.

Reply to this Topic
jielunbb

Jun 11

jielunbb says:

www.betterwholesaler.us

The website whol esale for many kinds of fas hion sho es, like the nik e,jord an,pr ada, the jea ns,shirts,bags,hat and decorations. All the products are free ship ping, and the the price is com petitive, and also can accept the pay pal pay ment. ,after the paym ent, can ship within short time

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Thoughts for the day ...

Golly Gee …

Quite a number of MCN’s “regular“posters are MIA today aren’t they? It is a very great shame that we didn’t get them to tattoo their specious & infantile “Rossi good = Stoner bad” comments on their bodies - so that sometime in the future they couldn’t resile from or deny all the “opinions” they had stated as “facts” - before these were exposed for what they were – a pathetic denial of reality based on wishful thinking and sheer bias.

Perhaps the reality is beginning to seep through denialist heads now – Stoner was the only one able to wring the Ducati Desmo’s neck - but it cost him crashes, DNF’s and zero points quite often – when he wasn’t winning or getting Podiums on it. On a more trustworthy machine he has clearly shown in all conditions and on all tracks he is a great rider. You don’t have to “like” him for his ability – just accept it, for a change.

The Brit paper, "The Independent" gets it exactly right …Rossi’s body language said it all getting off the bike in the Pit Garage – not talking, not acknowledging and heading straight out the back with helmet still on, head down and still fully kitted-up - slutted-off beyond belief!

How the once mighty have fallen, Icarus-like, when hubris exacts its price. In his heart of hearts Rossi well-knew he was only really good for 9th. Here is an “alternative” view from outside the motorcycle mainstream media who don’t have to play the game and toe the in-house line to preserve future MotoGP relationships …

“The Ducati technicians were lost at Silverstone, and couldn't provide their expensive new signing with a bike that handled. Rossi finished 1min 4.526sec behind Stoner, in a sport in which a mere second can be an eternity.
"I'm slow on the entrance to corners, and I can't ride the line that I want," the nine-times world champion complained. His team manager, Vittoriano Guareschi, was honest enough to admit: "We can't put enough heat in the front tyre, whether we use the hard or the soft compound, and it doesn't give Valentino the confidence to push."
Even though Rossi has now climbed to fourth place in the championship, one can't wondering whether made-in-Bologna toys will start to fly soon if this supposedly all-Italian dream team doesn't achieve regular podiums soon.”

Cheers

Reply to this Topic
stormr

Aug 02

stormr says:

Casey's 27th Win "Celebration"

Like one of the Rossi apologists below, I'd have liked to see Casey celebrate his win also.

But rather than pathetically copy Vale's post race theatrics like a certain Spanish rider, I'm surprised Casey doesn't take the piss out of Rossi (and Lorenzo).

Maybe line up 27 portaloos, paint 'em yellow and make a quick dash into all of them during the parade lap:)

Too late now though, maybe CS can save that one for win no.46 in 2012.........

Reply to this Topic
ppatel3d

Jun 10

ppatel3d says:

Good Solid Race

Compare to the race in Catalunya, this was pretty darn good. Wet race always get me nervous, and I for one did not tip stoner to stay on. How wrong was I. Some good racing was happening at the beginning. Dovi was very aggressive early on, but stoner was ruthless, and took a mighty risk early on to pass him. Good battle between, Simo, Dovi, and Lorenzo. Credit to Dovi for holding them back. The race did get a little dull once both simo and Lorenzo crashed, but I was still nervous for Stoner. I guess its only entertaining if your rider is having a good race. Now I think Lorenzo will be very aggressive, since he is doing the chasing. Assen should be an interesting race, and lets hope also that Dani comes back.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

So What!

Yeah yeah, another ten bikes on the grid would be great, but what's the use if they're fighting for the scraps?

As for the race, well, Stoners' throttle control comes to the fore yet again, and what's with all the clowns wearing those giant frangers? Bunch of fuggin' softc*cks!

HRC will have an interesting choice to make next year! Back a fragile/luckless Pedro, or put some effort into a reliable, affable worker like Dovi? In all honesty I think Pedro should take his sponsorship to a factory sponsored sattelite team where the team pressure doesn't distract him.

And Ducati? My shoulder, my leg, 80 seconds, it's the front, it's the back, the bike is not a problem, raise it 20mm, make the bike suit Flossi, waiting for new components, May, June, Catalunya, we want rain, the tyres, the fkn toilet paper blah blah fkn blah! They should impose their own media ban before the final 10% of the motorcycling world realise what an absolute bunch of wankers they really are! Karma hates insincere loudmouths... apparently!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

I have to say if those Ducati quotes had come from Stoner's mouth there'd be a lot of people calling it moaning... :/

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

CBR 11X

You are a great advert for everything. Not. Please stay Down Under as fortunately it is a 20 Hour Flight from the Green and Pleasant Land. Notwithstanding this Casey is a superb rider and I hope the Fans didn't boo him like in previous years.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices